April 29, 2024, 01:05:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry research paper topic.  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Eatel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry research paper topic.
« on: March 30, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Okay, so for my technical writing class I have to write a research paper on a chemistry topic/method/technology that is recent (within the last 10 years). Basically, I'm hypothetically working for a company and I need to present them with a research paper stating why or why not this company should use this method/technology. I have to get 3 articles written by scholars to use as sources. My teacher says to use our school's database to find the articles.

Well anyways the only thing I could find that was recent was Mass Cytometry. I was gonna try and write about how it is being used to find cancer cells. I'm having trouble finding articles about this though. I was wondering if anyone else in this forum has any other ideas for a good topic? Something that has been discovered/developed in chemistry in the last 10 years. Also, can anyone help me out with finding articles, either on Mass Cytometry or on another topic? I really need some help getting started.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Chemistry research paper topic.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »
Just check references for thread: mass cytometry in wikipedia
AWK

Offline Eatel

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
Just check references for thread: mass cytometry in wikipedia

Are those going to be reliable sources? My teacher made it very clear that Wikipedia is not a reliable source.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »
Just check references in this tread, not tread itself
AWK

Offline jjwinkle

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2016, 06:36:34 PM »
I suggest this:

On the internet, google "Google Scholar" or go to scholar.google.com. On the Google Scholar screen, click the down arrow that is in the search field and enter the years 2006 to 2016. Search "mass cytometry to find cancer."

Many, but not all, of the articles that come up require a subscription to see the whole article. Your school may have subscriptions, but, even if it doesn't, you should still be able to get enough information. Click on nih.gov [HTML] or wiley.com [HTML] when one of these is to the right of the title of an article to see the entire article for free. Even when you can't see an article in its entirety without a subscription, you can see the abstract, which is a summary, and you get all the information to cite the article. I see an article there, accessible through wiley.com, that compares mass cytometry to an older method, fluorescence cytometry, "Single-cell mass cytometry adapted to measurements of the cell cycle."

The journal articles at doaj.org are all "open access" (free to access). A list of journals that are to some degree free and accessible through NIH (National Institutes of Health) is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/journals/.

Sponsored Links