April 25, 2024, 02:52:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: BICH 410 question  (Read 1537 times)

Offline BRJ1991

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
BICH 410 question
« on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:47 PM »
Question on my BICH homework:

I am scratching my head on this.

ETA: I think I need something to either break the C=O bond on cotinine, or completely dissociate the two rings, but I'm not sure...

ETA: sorry, I think I may have posted this in the wrong forum.... If so, please accept my apologies....  I'm kind of technologically challenged...

13) You are the lab director for a company specializing in urinanalysis for drug testing pre-employment candidates for, among other things, nicotine and nicotine byproducts (cotinine, trans-3’-hydroxycotinine (3-OH-cotinine), and nornicotine). What household product(s), if added to a 25-mL urine sample, would neutralize nicotine and its byproducts, rendering the nicotine and its byproducts undetectable in the sample without causing suspicion for tampering?

Bonus 1 (+5 points): Calculate the amount of the reagent(s) necessary to neutralize the nicotine and byproducts for a 50-mL urine sample without arousing suspicion for tampering.

Bonus 2 (+10 points): Show the chemical reactions involved to neutralize the nicotine and byproducts.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 09:21:27 PM by Arkcon »

Sponsored Links