March 29, 2024, 05:22:22 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Benedict's solution reaction  (Read 3788 times)

newbibob

Benedict's solution reaction
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:50:35 PM »
I am neither a chemist nor do I have much of any knowledge in the field. I have a question related to chemistry an was hoping someone might have some insight. I have a concern that sugar may have been added to my (diesel) fuel tank. After some research online, I found out that it does not dissolve in fuel, so an engine problem is not currently my concern. I would like to know if there is any way to test for sugar/sugars in fuel ( specifically diesel fuel). I discovered that Benedicts solution is used to detect sugar in foods. Could someone tell me if I could use benedicts solution to test for sugar in the fuel that was discharged when I removed my initial fuel filter (I saved the fuel that came out just beyond the tank).
1. Is there already sugar present in diesel fuel that would void the test?
2. If I mixed Benedict's solution with Diesel fuel (would it be fairly safe) would it blow up or anything?
3.after initially mixing, would it be safe for the next step of a hot water bath to observe the reaction for a color change?

Any advise would help. Thanks....

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: Benedict's solution reaction
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict%27s_reagent

1. If you are not using biofuel it should be pretty rare.
2. You need to check by yourself. The additives in your diesel may pose some risks.
3. If you use 95°C water bath(as suggested by wikipedia) it can be risky. However in my experience 50-60°C is enough. You can try using sugar solution at different temperatures to find the minimum temperature possible.

Note that Benedict's test is only applicable on reducing sugars. If you suspect that surcose(not a reducing sugar) is added, you need other chemical tests.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 04:57:40 PM »
Sugar in the fuel is a classical sabotage method - something like clogging the injectors. Detecting it is important.

As sugar dissolves little, I feel logical to seek it at the bottom of the tank with a long shovel or something that sucks the fuel.

Offline alimeeabey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 04:33:32 AM »
Sugar in the fuel can be dangerous, but I don’t think so benedicts test can solve your problem.

Sponsored Links