April 26, 2024, 01:40:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: An actual Nitric Acid sythesis that works!  (Read 1794 times)

Offline RocksInHead

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
An actual Nitric Acid sythesis that works!
« on: April 26, 2016, 04:25:13 PM »
I was getting tired of finding HNO3 synthesis that were either ineffective or required tools and chemicals that I didn't have, so I decided to try and come up with my own. It uses H2SO4 and NH4NO3, I got them from Rooto Drain Cleaner and Instant Cold Packs. It doesn't produce any poisonous fumes like other Nitric tutorials do, and it is pretty strait foreward.

First, you need to dissolve around 185g of NH4NO3 in about 100ml water. Next, SLOWLY add around 56ml H2SO4 to the mixture with strong stirring, and don't allow the solution to boil (Hot Sulfuric and Nitric acid splashing around is not a good thing). After that, filter the solution when it seems that it is done reacting (in my case when the foaming stops for a while). This should give you around 140ml ~50% HNO3.

I then tested it by pouring around 1-3ml in a test tube and dropping some Cu in. It reacted for a while and created a little NO2 gas. I don't have the chemicals to do a titration yet, so I cant say for sure what purity is is though.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 05:24:39 PM by RocksInHead »

Sponsored Links