March 29, 2024, 06:15:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help with understanding titration?  (Read 2321 times)

Offline MegaBabyRawr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help with understanding titration?
« on: April 21, 2016, 10:11:59 PM »
So currently, I am doing titration labs in my chemistry class, but i need some help understanding it. This is what I think it is:

A base can neutralize (is neutralize the right word, what i mean is bring to the end point) an acid. 1mL of the .5M base can neutralize the 1mL of the .5M acid. (This is just an example) If you add 500mL of the acid and 5000mL of water together, then add 500mL of the base, it should still neutralize completely right?

The dilution would not affect the base and acid bringing each other to the endpoint right?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:17:19 AM by MegaBabyRawr »

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: Help with understanding titration?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 11:11:29 PM »
A base can neutralize (is neutralize the right word, what i mean is bring to the end point) an acid.

Yes. It is more accurate to say 'alkali' instead of 'base' - alkalis are soluble bases.

1mL of the .5M base can neutralize the 1mL of the .5M acid. If you add 500mL of the acid and 5000mL of water together, then add 500mL of the base, it should still neutralize completely right?

Not really. Have you heard about dibasic acid or tribasic acid?

The dilution would not affect the base and acid bringing each other to the endpoint right?

What do you mean by 'would not affect'? The general ionic equation for neutralisation reaction (H+ + OH-  :rarrow: H2O) is the same for any bases and acids of any concentrations. However, dilution does affect the volume of acid/base required to reach the end point.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline MegaBabyRawr

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »
A base can neutralize (is neutralize the right word, what i mean is bring to the end point) an acid.

Yes. It is more accurate to say 'alkali' instead of 'base' - alkalis are soluble bases.

1mL of the .5M base can neutralize the 1mL of the .5M acid. If you add 500mL of the acid and 5000mL of water together, then add 500mL of the base, it should still neutralize completely right?

Not really. Have you heard about dibasic acid or tribasic acid?

What do you mean by 'would not affect'? The general ionic equation for neutralisation reaction (H+ + OH-  :rarrow: H2O) is the same for any bases and acids of any concentrations. However, dilution does affect the volume of acid/base required to reach the end point.

Sorry what that was just to be an example of a reaction. In my lab, we added acid to the base until it changed colour (end point). What I am wondering is, does it matter how diluted the base is (how much extra water was added). Will it affect the reaction?

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 01:39:16 AM »
The reaction is not affected.
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 03:00:44 AM »
1mL of the .5M base can neutralize the 1mL of the .5M acid. (This is just an example)

Why not just state "reaction proceeds according to the stoichiometry of the neutralization reaction"? You know how to write and balance the reaction equation between an acid and a base, don't you? Sure, you can use formula as often given, but it just makes you forgot the basics.

What I am wondering is, does it matter how diluted the base is (how much extra water was added). Will it affect the reaction?

In general - no. In practice using too diluted titrant is impractical and can be source of additional problems. See http://www.titrations.info/titrant-and-sample-volume
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links