Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming  (Read 12719 times)

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Naming
« on: May 13, 2006, 10:25:25 PM »
OK I spent two months teaching my high school students how to name simple inorganic compounds, you know going from name to formula and back.  Now I was only an intern teacher and my mentor insisted on doing this.  I did not think that that much time was even necessary.  When I switched schools, my new mentor teacher spent about a month on the same topic.  I am pretty certain I can teach naming and writing chemical formulas now. 

Anyways my question to you is, do you feel that spending that much time on naming is even neccessary?  Sure, I feel that kids should learn how to name, but I wouldn't spend this much time on it.  Any thoughts?

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Naming
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2006, 03:49:18 AM »
If you mean chlorates and sulfates, then yes its important that they know them.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2006, 09:06:52 AM »
yeah, unless its about IUPAC nomenclature, i feel that you can usually go through the names occasionally when encountering them in other fields; devoting a month to learning common names doesnt sound that appealing at all.
one learns best by teaching

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2006, 09:38:36 PM »
If you mean chlorates and sulfates, then yes its important that they know them.

Yes I agree that it is important to learn simple naming, and it is important for kids to know the difference between perchlorate and hypochlorate, for instance.  I just do not feel that naming should not take up a whole month.  I think maybe about two weeks; and perhaps small amounts of it during the year like  for naming acids. 

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:25:24 PM »
OK I spent two months teaching my high school students how to name simple inorganic compounds, you know going from name to formula and back.  Now I was only an intern teacher and my mentor insisted on doing this.  I did not think that that much time was even necessary.  When I switched schools, my new mentor teacher spent about a month on the same topic.  I am pretty certain I can teach naming and writing chemical formulas now. 

Anyways my question to you is, do you feel that spending that much time on naming is even neccessary?  Sure, I feel that kids should learn how to name, but I wouldn't spend this much time on it.  Any thoughts?

being a AP HS chem student i think it's very important if you teach AP chem or your kids plan to go to AP chem because the reaction prediction section is all about knowing names. you don't need to spend too terribly long on it, just the basics and some of the odd cases like polyatomic ions and such because the rest they will pick up through experimentation and other work they do
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 09:07:20 PM »

it shouldn't take a month to learn how to name stuff, it is really simple, they will also just pick it up as they go. basically it's memorization. don't spend that long on it. everything else ties to it anyway and they will just sort of start to get it.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »
I agree with you both.  It shouldn't take that long.  When I was in High school, it didn't, but I was in an accelerated class.  I was told by my one mentor teacher that it was one of the most important things to be learned in chemistry.  I think 2 months or even one month is way too excessive, even for a "mainstream" class. I will not spend that much time on it when I have my own classes and more control over what I teach.  I mean, it is important and al, but it doesn't require a good part of the year to teach. 

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »
I agree with you both.  It shouldn't take that long.  When I was in High school, it didn't, but I was in an accelerated class.  I was told by my one mentor teacher that it was one of the most important things to be learned in chemistry.  I think 2 months or even one month is way too excessive, even for a "mainstream" class. I will not spend that much time on it when I have my own classes and more control over what I teach.  I mean, it is important and al, but it doesn't require a good part of the year to teach. 

look online at some websites that have old AP tests and notice what things they focus heavily on and that will give you a vague idea of how to plan your year
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 11:44:53 AM »
Good Idea  ;D.  I am in grad school for chemistry so probably the next "course" I will teach is some undergrad level chemistry class.  Otherwise, I am teaching lab and recitation anyway.  But thanks  ;)

Sponsored Links