March 28, 2024, 04:35:50 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry E-Car  (Read 1861 times)

Offline ronaldmtopping

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry E-Car
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:51:03 PM »
My final project for 10th grade honors chemistry is to power and then stop a small electric car with a chemical reaction. One wire will connect from a battery to a beaker of a solution and then to another battery to the car, so the beaker determines whether electricity flows or not.

I need to find a single of double replacement reaction with electrolytes to initially power the car and then stop electricity from flowing. For example if I used salt water and then found a way for the Na and Cl ions to stop acting as electrolytes. I would need to do stoichiometry later to figure out how much to use. This will all be in a beaker on top of a small car that I cannot touch once electricity starts flowing.

Any ideas? I specifically need help with what chemicals to use. Try to come up with ideas that can typically be found in a chemistry classroom. Thanks.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
Re: Chemistry E-Car
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 05:37:32 PM »
Well, what are your thoughts, first?
And did you evaluate the amount of electricity used by the small car, and how big the effect on the electrolyte can be?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Chemistry E-Car
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 08:14:45 PM »
My final project for 10th grade honors chemistry is to power and then stop a small electric car with a chemical reaction. One wire will connect from a battery to a beaker of a solution and then to another battery to the car, so the beaker determines whether electricity flows or not.

You need a simple battery.

I need to find a single of double replacement reaction with electrolytes to initially power the car and then stop electricity from flowing. For example if I used salt water and then found a way for the Na and Cl ions to stop acting as electrolytes.

This is not a simple battery, instead, this is something that doesn't exist.  There is surely an example of a simple battery in your textbook.  From there you can see what you can work with.
I would need to do stoichiometry later to figure out how much to use. This will all be in a beaker on top of a small car that I cannot touch once electricity starts flowing.

Like Enthalpy: said, simple stochiometry isn't what you need.  Electrical power is measured two different ways, do you know those ways?  Do you know what your car or say one of those digital clocks powered by a potato needs?

Any ideas? I specifically need help with what chemicals to use. Try to come up with ideas that can typically be found in a chemistry classroom. Thanks.

Or around the house, cf. potato clock.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links