April 28, 2024, 02:25:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: iron chlorate, does it exist?  (Read 12552 times)

Offline niertap

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
iron chlorate, does it exist?
« on: May 14, 2006, 10:37:20 PM »
does anyone know what happens when you mix potassium chlorate and iron chloride? or if iron(ferrous) chlorate exists?

Offline woelen

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +40/-2
  • The art of wondering makes life worth living...
    • Science made alive
Re: iron chlorate, does it exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 05:44:10 AM »
Theoretically I see no reason, why iron (III) chlorate could not exist. Making this in practice seems a lot more difficult to me. One route could be to make a dilute solution of chloric acid from barium chlorate and sulphuric acid (BaSO4 precipitates out, leaving HClO3 behind). To this solution you add a freshly and thouroughly washed precipitate of Fe(OH)3. What you get is Fe(ClO3)3. Keep some excess HClO3 in order to keep the solution clear and free of hydrolysis products. Careful drying (evaporation) at room temperature in a dissicator over conc. H2SO4 may yield the desired product.

I do not believe that Fe(ClO3)2 could ever be made. If it could be made, I would not like to be near a bottle of this stuff, which contains more than a few hundreds of mg of this compound. Fe(2+) is quite a strong reductor and ClO3(-) is a strong oxidizer.This compound (if it exists at all) would be extremely sensitive and could easily explode due to internal oxidation/reduction. For this reason, Fe(NO3)3.xH2O is a simply available, commercial chemical (also available for the general public from some photography suppliers), while Fe(NO3)2.xH2O is a very unstable lab-curiousity, which is really hard to prepare.
Want to wonder? See http://www.oelen.net/science

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 06:02:36 AM »
Both, iron(II) and iron(III) perchlorates exist as hexahydrates. Iron(II) perchlorate is quite stable, like ammonium persulfate. Much more difficult is to obtain pure manganese(II) nitrate(V)
AWK

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:12:16 PM »
does anyone know what happens when you mix potassium chlorate and iron chloride? or if iron(ferrous) chlorate exists?

ya it does. it's a rust looking color and precipitates out of a reaction long forgotten by me  :P but i've done the reaction and gotten it. either that or i got another form of iron and chloride...someone check me on that one please
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:16:48 PM »
Speaking of internal oxidation-reduction reactions, how does one account for the stability of such compounds as AgI(s)?  Looking at a table of standard reduction potentials, it seems that Ag+ should easily oxidize I- to I2, yet AgI still exists.  Why is this so?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 02:57:35 AM »
These potentials take into account ion hydration, non-existing in crystal, thus potentials in crystal can be completely different.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline niertap

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:36:28 AM »
just curious, i saw a solubility chart that said it didnt exist. i tried an "expeiment" and too some rust and HCl, to make iron chloride, then added a little potassium chlorate to see if it knocked the o3 off. there was some bubbling, not sure if it was just some etra acid making chloric acid, that decomposed. So to cover my bases and make it safe, i tossed a lil acetone do destroy any chloric acid. It looks cool, the rust colored solution on bottom and the yellow solution on top.

Sponsored Links