April 25, 2024, 12:10:16 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hydrogen Chloride gas  (Read 47413 times)

Offline candiishop

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
Hydrogen Chloride gas
« on: May 15, 2006, 07:36:27 AM »
Why bonds in gaseous HCl are covalent? Since HCl in toluene gives a conductivity of zero and HCl in water is 100.

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
Re: Hydrogen Chloride gas
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 02:58:27 PM »
When dissolved in water, HCl is in equilibrium with dissociated ions due to the molecular forces of water.

H2O + HCl (aq) <-> H3O+ + Cl-

Toluene does not react with HCl in this way, and so very few ions are formed to conduct.

There isn't actually a strictly distinguished difference between ionic and covalent bonds.  The hydrogen in HCl has enough control over its electron to be considered covalent, but if they were to split it's probable that the Chlorine would strip the Hydrogen of its electron. 
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 07:39:19 PM »
When dissolved in water, HCl is in equilibrium with dissociated ions due to the molecular forces of water.

Toluene does not react with HCl in this way, and so very few ions are formed to conduct.

There isn't actually a strictly distinguished difference between ionic and covalent bonds.  The hydrogen in HCl has enough control over its electron to be considered covalent, but if they were to split it's probable that the Chlorine would strip the Hydrogen of its electron. 
Hold on there buddy, HCl is a strong acid so there is no equilibrium.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 07:54:26 PM »

Hold on there buddy, it must be an equilibrium, because if you removed the water, then the H3O+ and Cl- would form H2O + HCl  to replace the lost water (Le Chatelier's principle). ;)
But it would be cool if that did happen, then you could evaporate off the excess water and be left with hydronium chloride (hydrochloric acid has too low an ionization constant (107) for that to be possible).

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 07:55:35 PM »

true, it'll dissociate 100% so it won't go back to HCl

and Cl is a non-metal, metals are the ones that form ionic bonds, so a non-metal won't form an ionic bond but rather a covalent one
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 07:58:22 PM »

Hold on there buddy, it must be an equilibrium, because if you removed the water, then the H3O+ and Cl- would form H2O + HCl  to replace the lost water (Le Chatelier's principle). ;)
But it would be cool if that did happen, then you could evaporate off the excess water and be left with hydronium chloride (hydrochloric acid has too low an ionization constant (107) for that to be possible).

but it's not an equilibrium reaction  ??? Le Chatelier's principle will only qualify if it is one. in this case when you take out the water there will just be excess HCl...

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:00:45 PM »
in this case when you take out the water there will just be excess HCl...

Wait a sec, I thought you just said there isn't any HCl because its all gone to H3O+ and Cl- and theres no way its going back!

Edit: Also, why do I see my conc. hydrochloric acid fuming!!?? :P lol
« Last Edit: May 15, 2006, 08:02:53 PM by will17 »

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:04:06 PM »
in this case when you take out the water there will just be excess HCl...

Wait a sec, I thought you just said there isn't any HCl because its all gone to H3O+ and Cl- and theres no way its going back!

ah true, but because this is true then there will be no water to take out

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:05:14 PM »

producing H2 gas

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 08:19:44 PM »
I don't understand the last couple of posts ???

Concentrated HCl is still only about 35% or so.

I doubt "fuming" HCl produces hydrogen gas :-\ it sure smells like HCl to me
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 08:21:13 PM »
35% what? dissociation?

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »
35% HCl
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:26:10 PM »
I thought you just said there isn't any HCl because its all gone to H3O+ and Cl- and theres no way its going back!
ah true, but because this is true then there will be no water to take out

I don't think you can get anywhere over 40% conc. hydrochloric acid (mine is 36%) therefore there must be at least one water molecule to take out! There is a certain concentration, whereby if you take out more H2O instead of getting more concentrated, HCl gas is given off.

producing H2 gas

lol, I hope not, otherwise the cheap plasticy cap would come flying off from the pressure of the H2 and I would regret keeping the HCl in my room as my mom would gloat about how she was right that I should keep it in the basement, not 2 metres away from where I work and sleep!

35% what? dissociation?

35Kg HCl 'molecules' (which are dissociated) per 100Kg hydrochloric acid

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 08:29:29 PM »
wait, if HCl is a strong acid then why does it not dissociate 100%?  ???

and because i am confused about this leads to my incorrect statements in the other posts  :-[

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 08:30:55 PM »
wait, if HCl is a strong acid then why does it not dissociate 100%?  ???

It does dissociate 100%.

Sponsored Links