April 28, 2024, 04:26:47 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: pool water softening  (Read 2592 times)

Offline simon67

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
pool water softening
« on: June 06, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »
I fill my pool once a year at the beginning of the bath season. It is a simple vinyl-liner with circa 22 cub. m / 5.800 gal water from a water spring. This water has 20 German degrees of hardness and pH around 8.5.

The usual goal for pool water is pH at 7.5. That's what I try to reach. Limestone acts as a 'strong' buffer and would call for huge muriatic acid quantities.

I became impressed by ionic exchange device. I could afford one with capacity 8 cubic m between resin regenerations. Here is what I do not get: if we pull out Ca+ cations and exchange them with Na+ then what have we done about pH? I mean the water coming out of exchanger would contain dissolved NaHCO3 and Na2CO3, and these are two bases and probably buffers.

I am no fan of chemical water softeners nor can I reach hi-end cation & anion exchangers. My question is about simple device that I mentioned. Would it help me to lower pH?

Simon

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: pool water softening
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 02:59:22 PM »
I wouldn't expect a pH change after removal of Ca2+. Note that you have not done anything to anions present - they were there before the exchanger as well.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline simon67

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:56:03 AM »
Borek, thank you for your answer.

Just to clarify me: I don't expect pH lowering with ionic exchanger either. I am aware I would need acid anyway. With this device I'd like to - let me say it simple - remove (or reduce) buffering effect. Then I would measure water pH, put values in online calculators and get the amount of HCl to add. In the past seasons adding acid had almost no effect. Therefore, I immediately thought of CaCO3 nagging me.

Is ionic exchanger's output solution more pH controllable?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 05:39:52 AM »
No, the buffering part is not changed.

This is not entirely correct in general, but as a first approximation in water (and especially around the pH you are interested in) it is mostly anions that are responsible for the buffering effect. You have modified only cation composition.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline simon67

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 12:38:42 PM »
Thank you again for answer.

You gave me info that I was looking for. Ergo purchasing the ionic exchanger isn't a good idea.

Simon

Sponsored Links