April 27, 2024, 11:03:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: LiAlH4 quenching  (Read 5455 times)

Ilaria

LiAlH4 quenching
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:05:24 AM »
Dear all,

I would like to understand why after the reduction of an amide with LiAlH4 in THF the reaction is quenched with 5% aqueous NaOH and not just with water. Does this have to do with the dangerous reactivity of LiAlH4 towards water or with the formation of emulsions? What happens and what is formed when you quench with water and when you quench with NaOH?
Thank you in advance!

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +136/-16
Re: LiAlH4 quenching
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 06:41:15 AM »
AFAIK by quenching with just water you get some nasty aluminium residues. By using hydroxide you convert them to soluble stuff

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 10:46:06 AM »
Not quite to make them soluble, they generally crash out as a nice white powder you can filter off when you use the Feiser workup:

http://chem.chem.rochester.edu/~nvd/pages/magic_formulas.php?page=aluminum_hydride_reduction

Otherwise, on anything but a tiny scale you get all sorts of horrible aluminium emulsions that make layer separation in the workup virtually impossible.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
I generally workup with Rochelle's salt (even though it can take a long time for the phases to separate) because I always end up with a mountain of MgSO4 with the Feiser workup.

http://www.ochemonline.com/Quenching_aluminum_based_reactions
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline rolnor

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +149/-10
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 08:54:08 PM »
When using NaOH in the workup, it forms sodium aluminate that is easy to filter of probably?

Offline Reddart

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 01:43:44 PM »
Personally, I prefer a mixture of 1:1 Glaubler's salt : celite. A majority of the time I can just filter the mixture over celite and get pure, quantitative product after solvent removal.

Sponsored Links