March 29, 2024, 06:46:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Is alkaline battery content in fruit tree flowerpot toxic?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline Biancajules

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi. I found a big 100 litter volume flower plant. I want to plant a small fruit tree in it.  The problem is that i found it with soil inside and on that soil there were bursted and rusted alkaline batteries (i think of the company GP) that their content is spilt inside. My question is, what is the battery content made of? is the battery content toxic?  If i will replace  the soil it will be okay to plant a fruit tree in it? Or maybe trace elements will stay inside anyway so i should not bother?   Thanks in advance! (:

Offline Burner

• Mole Snacks: +15/-2
  • Chem-is-try
Re: Is alkaline battery content in fruit tree flowerpot toxic?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 04:56:25 AM »
Hi. I found a big 100 litter volume flower plant. I want to plant a small fruit tree in it.  The problem is that i found it with soil inside and on that soil there were bursted and rusted alkaline batteries (i think of the company GP) that their content is spilt inside. My question is, what is the battery content made of? is the battery content toxic?  If i will replace  the soil it will be okay to plant a fruit tree in it? Or maybe trace elements will stay inside anyway so i should not bother?   Thanks in advance! (:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

Most alkaline batteries shares the same chemistry principle and hence have simliar ingredients. Manganese(IV) oxide and zinc are insoluble in water so I don't think leaching of them to soil moisture is a big problem. However, the alkaline electrolyte(KOH) can change the pH of the soil and may become a problem for your plant. You have to check the optimum pH for your species of fruit tree. Moreover, there maybe other toxic heavy metal inside the batteries too(though they are not the most important chemicals in an alkaline battery)
Year 1 science student in HKUST and a Chemistry geek.
If I make any mistakes in the forum, please don't hesitate to correct me as I want to learn.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Is alkaline battery content in fruit tree flowerpot toxic?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
You could replace the soil, and probably take the opportunity to select a soil mixture more appropriate for the tree in question.  Like Burner: said, there's likely nothing too bad for plant life, but possibly a trace of some environmental toxins.  The pot's probably OK, when you dump the soil, you'll be dealing with a trace of a trace of a trace of an unknown contaminant. 
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links