March 28, 2024, 05:10:36 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: isomer  (Read 11853 times)

puremercury

isomer
« on: May 15, 2006, 08:29:46 PM »
How can there be 3 isomer for C3H4? isn't it a alkyne? i can only figure out one structural formula with triple bond

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: isomer
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 08:39:22 PM »
H2C=C=CH2 maybe? :-\
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 08:40:08 PM »
How can there be 3 isomer for C3H4? isn't it a alkyne? i can only figure out one structural formula with triple bond

if you move the triple bond to the other side that is an isomer, but i don't know where a third would come from
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »

that's good, that would make all three...

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 08:42:27 PM »
if you move the triple bond to the other side that is an isomer, but i don't know where a third would come from
you can't really do that though, because it would still be 1-propyne, or whatever, you number it from the lowest number.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:18 PM »
Oh, cyclopropene of course!
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »
this one makes sense to me but i have no clue where the other one comes from.

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 08:44:44 PM »
Oh, cyclopropene of course!
dang, didn't even think about the cyclos, nice mike.  :)

puremercury

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 08:54:47 PM »
humm. that's weird. i was just reviewing organic chem from last year. and i thought an alkyne must have a triple bond. and apparently H2C=C=CH2 content 2 double bond. how does this work. isn't that a Alkene but C3H4 don't have the general formula of CNH2N. how could this be an alkene?

Offline mrdeadman

• I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 09:02:36 PM »
the molecular formula won't tell you whether or not it is an -ane, -ene, or -yne at times, like this one, you can't really infer that it is an alkyne based solely on the chemical formula, this isn't general chem anymore.

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 09:09:09 PM »
the molecular formula won't tell you whether or not it is an -ane, -ene, or -yne at times, like this one, you can't really infer that it is an alkyne based solely on the chemical formula, this isn't general chem anymore.

ya you can if that is the entire formula unless a molecular charge hasn't been stated

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 09:13:32 PM »

ya you can if that is the entire formula unless a molecular charge hasn't been stated
no... the molecular formula doesn't give you structure and you can't determine -ane, -ene, or -yne without the structure or the molecule as shown by the multiple isomers in previous posts
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

puremercury

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:15:23 PM »
umm. i have no idea what the last 2 post mean. sorry :-X

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »
umm. i have no idea what the last 2 post mean. sorry :-X
then ignore those 2 posts and just remember what mrdeadman said: molecular formula doesn't always distinguish between -ane, -ene, and -yne
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

puremercury

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2006, 09:50:15 PM »
but isn't there way of telling whether the molecular formula is only infering to one of the three group or all in general ?

Sponsored Links