March 29, 2024, 04:44:56 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Calcium Ascorbate  (Read 5733 times)

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Calcium Ascorbate
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:12:22 AM »
Someone told me that when working with plants, like doing an acidic extract of a plant, if you use calcium ascorbate in the acidic mixture, it will precipitate tannins and oils so that your product will inevitably be that much cleaner. So a couple of questions on that note:

What is calcium ascorbate supposed to be used for? I found some information saying it is the calcium salt of ascorbic acid which is "vitamin C"... so maybe it is a vitamin itself? Is there a way to convert vitamin C to ascorbate calcium that's not too complicated?

Also, could anyone explain why/how the calcium ascorbate helps precipitate the gunk (tannin/oils etc) in plant matter?

I've found places where you can order the calcium ascorbate straight... but I was just interested in anyone knew a process for converting C to AC.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
Re: Calcium Ascorbate
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 01:19:29 PM »
You could try dissolving Ca metal (or CaO, or Ca(OH)2) in ascorbic acid solution.  Not sure how well that really works but it seems like it should.

I don't think the ascorbate part is the important one, rather the calcium, which precipitates tannates, but not necessarily oils.  I *am* interested if anybody knows this better, I have also heard of adding calcium to plant extracts.

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 01:51:37 PM »
Taken from a thread on a madsci.org:

"According to the label on the containers, Sodium Ascorbate is made by combining Ascorbic Acid with Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda) Calcium Ascorbate is made by combining Ascorbic Acid with Calcium Carbonate (aka ground limestone)..."

"2) Ascorbic acid, being monobasic, would take one equivalent of base to neutralize. I leave it to you to calculate the proportions :) The process is most probably easy to set up at home, and would include mixing ascorbic acid and sodium bicarbonate solutions, and drinking or evaporating the resulting salt solution. Long storage of salts is not recommended though..."

So I take it from this that in order to get to Calcium Ascorbate you would combine equimolar solutions of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and Calcium Carbonate (ground limestone, CaCO3) then evaporate them?

I've yet to find a good source on the web which actually explains the precipitation of tannins, but I'm still looking.

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 08:01:41 PM »
Taken from a thread on a madsci.org:

"According to the label on the containers, Sodium Ascorbate is made by combining Ascorbic Acid with Sodium Bicarbonate (aka Baking Soda) Calcium Ascorbate is made by combining Ascorbic Acid with Calcium Carbonate (aka ground limestone)..."

"2) Ascorbic acid, being monobasic, would take one equivalent of base to neutralize. I leave it to you to calculate the proportions :) The process is most probably easy to set up at home, and would include mixing ascorbic acid and sodium bicarbonate solutions, and drinking or evaporating the resulting salt solution. Long storage of salts is not recommended though..."

So I take it from this that in order to get to Calcium Ascorbate you would combine equimolar solutions of Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C) and Calcium Carbonate (ground limestone, CaCO3) then evaporate them?

I've yet to find a good source on the web which actually explains the precipitation of tannins, but I'm still looking.

that's how you do it. we did this one in class one time i think
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Sponsored Links