April 26, 2024, 06:47:33 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry GRE Exam  (Read 16770 times)

Offline Assembler

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Chemistry GRE Exam
« on: May 16, 2006, 03:53:22 PM »
I plan on taking the GRE next school year, and I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how to study for it (i.e. practice books).  Thanks.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: Chemistry GRE Exam
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:11:35 PM »
I got the Chem GRE practice book from REA (I think).  Anyway, it had five practice tests, which are a bit longer than the actual test.  That was good practice and it helped me to decide on what I should go back and study in more depth.  I don't know how far you are in your chemistry studies, but I would advise taking PChem 1 at least before taking the test. 

Finally, you know more than you may think so relax, do not try to relearn everything from the past 3-4 years.  Good luck  :)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »
I got the Chem GRE practice book from REA (I think).  Anyway, it had five practice tests, which are a bit longer than the actual test.  That was good practice and it helped me to decide on what I should go back and study in more depth.

Good Point!
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Assembler

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 03:33:17 PM »
I got the Chem GRE practice book from REA (I think).  Anyway, it had five practice tests, which are a bit longer than the actual test.  That was good practice and it helped me to decide on what I should go back and study in more depth.  I don't know how far you are in your chemistry studies, but I would advise taking PChem 1 at least before taking the test. 

Finally, you know more than you may think so relax, do not try to relearn everything from the past 3-4 years.  Good luck  :)

Sounds like a good idea, thanks.  I'll be taking it this fall.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 09:18:25 AM »
No problem  :D

Offline HighTek

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
I was at the library and picked up a practice GRE exam.  They used a bunch of words I didn't know existed... (in the verbal)...

What can I read to start learning these 25$ words??? I'm not a freakin English major so I don't see the point.

The other threads said that most people suck on the verbal part... I can accept that.

But is suggested in studying for that part? I remember an old instructor was telling our class that the Wall Street Journal is a hard read...maybe I should subscribe to that to help with my vocabulary huh? Any other 'hard read' suggestions?
I'm experiencing both Alzheimer's and Deja Vu right now, I think I forgot this before.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
You are talking about the General GRE now I assumed, and not the Chemistry one.

With regard to what you call $25 dollar words. If you can not tell from the context of the usage of the word, either you need a lot of practice, or the word is crap.

I take me no's impotraence on dem big werds.

Offline SM30

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-1
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2008, 12:56:28 PM »
haha "the word is crap"

Is he supposed to put that down as an answer choice during the test? The general has no context in non-reading comp questions anyways. They just list words and you need to know what they mean. They have word banks that are comprised of "high frequency" words (meaning they've shown up on the test in the past). Those work alright, but only 2-5 of those words end up being on the test. 2-5 questions could make a big difference in score though.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 02:00:44 PM »
Always pick the word without a latin root, and the stranger it looks, like it contains double L's, that's the right answer.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Sponsored Links