April 19, 2024, 09:57:39 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions on HCl and H2SO4 reactions  (Read 14698 times)

Offline P-man

• Mole Snacks: +13/-17
  • Join Smart People for a better future...
    • My Website
Questions on HCl and H2SO4 reactions
« on: May 16, 2006, 06:11:52 PM »
I am learning, on my own, with the help of textbooks kindly given to me at Christmas by my grandfather and my own experimenting, some more advanced chemistry than what I studied in Grade Seven. Partly as preparation for High School, and partly for my own knowledge. However, I ran across some reactions that need clarifying.

Through frequent observation, I noticed that HCl likes to form chlorides. So is this equation correct?

CuSO4 + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H2SO4

Although I found it unlikely that it would form sulphuric acid, I could not find another spot to put the SO4, which I know cannot exist as a free compound.

The second puzzlement in my going-ons was that sulphuric acid usually reacts with metal carbonates to form sulphates, am I not correct? For example, they usually ended up something like this, right:

H2SO4 + CuCO3 --> CuSO4 + CO2 + H2O

Originally I found some weird ionic compound but then I realized that this broken down form would work better. However, until I do it, I have no way to prove that metal carbonates react in this way with sulphuric acid.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
Re: Questions on HCl and H2SO4 reactions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 06:22:32 PM »
regarding the first equation, H2SO4 is a strong acid so in solution it dissociates approximately 100%. For this reason, the formation of H2SO4 seems highly unlikely to me. It could, however, form HSO4 which is a weak acid and would therefore be an equilibrium reaction. You should be able to derive the equations from this if you feel inclined to do so.

The second equation seems fine to me but I would get confirmation from someone else before trusting that it is right.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 06:37:28 PM »
I thought it unlikely, but I didn't know how to change it, V.
Pierre.

Fight for the protection of our envrionmenta and habitat: http://www.wearesmartpeople.com

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 06:54:33 PM »
regarding the first equation, H2SO4 is a strong acid so in solution it dissociates approximately 100%. For this reason, the formation of H2SO4 seems highly unlikely to me. It could, however, form HSO4 which is a weak acid and would therefore be an equilibrium reaction. You should be able to derive the equations from this if you feel inclined to do so.

The second equation seems fine to me but I would get confirmation from someone else before trusting that it is right.

the second is right. the H2SO4 will form, but that almost always will break down to make CO2 and H2O
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 07:00:26 PM »
the H2SO4 will form, but that almost always will break down to make CO2 and H2O

???
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline syko sykes

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:04:45 PM »
the second is right. the H2SO4 will form, but that almost always will break down to make CO2 and H2O
that's why i threw in a disclaimer by using the word approximately before i said 100%

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »
the H2SO4 will form, but that almost always will break down to make CO2 and H2O

???

what's confusing you about that? doesn't H2SO4 form and then most of the time break down?

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline mrdeadman

• Mole Snacks: +23/-39
  • I got a 5. Hooray!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 07:21:26 PM »
wth are you talking about? H2SO4 will not break down to form CO2 and water.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [001]

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
oh wait!! i didn't read correctly again sorry!! i was thinking of H2CO3. H2SO4 won't.

i meant H2CO3 where it shows H2SO4, sorry about that

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline syko sykes

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 07:46:54 PM »
oh wait!! i didn't read correctly again sorry!! i was thinking of H2CO3. H2SO4 won't.

i meant H2CO3 where it shows H2SO4, sorry about that
lol, i misread it the same way you did so it all made sense to me too

Offline rctrackstar2007

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
good i don't feel so bad about my typo now  :-[ lol

-Your's truly, 2006;

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 04:16:25 PM »
So then is it right? Because I don't see how HCO3 would form when there are no carbon atoms around. Anyways, is the second one right? Is this typically what happens when sulphates and carbonates mix?
Pierre.

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 05:54:22 PM »
the first equation is unlikely like stated above the the second seems totally correct to me and the talk about the HCO3 was just an example not pertaining to your question in the first reaction
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline P-man

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 04:21:55 PM »
The first reaction: an aquoeus solution with the H2SO4 dissolving into H2O and SO3-?
Pierre.

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 05:38:15 PM »
Through frequent observation, I noticed that HCl likes to form chlorides. So is this equation correct?

CuSO4 + 2HCl --> CuCl2 + H2SO4

Although I found it unlikely that it would form sulphuric acid, I could not find another spot to put the SO4, which I know cannot exist as a free compound.

This equation doesn't look like it is very possible not the other in the previous post
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Sponsored Links