April 23, 2024, 08:24:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: capsacian antidote  (Read 26431 times)

hotsauceking8

capsacian antidote
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:04:29 PM »
I am on a mission to neutralize the oral burn sensation caused by the capsacin elements in hot peppers.
I have tried tons of home remedies but,none are really succesful. my question for you....is there a known chemical cure for this?

Offline Will

• Organic Dude
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +58/-2
Re: capsacian antidote
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:56:08 PM »
Its an interesting puzzle, however, I don't believe there is an instant cooling remedy for capsaicin's burning effects. I like to drink milk generally, and have found that it is very good at relieving the burning sensation of capsaicin. I think its because it has calcium caseinate in it which removes the capsaicin from the nerve receptor binding sites better than other chemicals.

Also, capsaicin is very miscible with fats, oils and alcohols, but not that miscible with water, so a fatty drink like milk would also help wash away the capsaicin. Ethanol (and consequently ethanal) are poisonous so I wouldn't try drinking alcoholic drinks. ;)

hotsauceking8

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:53:13 PM »
Thanks for the input. I too have tried milk and yogurt in my quest for the cure.
I have also heard individuals say that eating more hotsauce will help. Unfortunatly
I have found this UNTRUE. More hotsauce does not help. But dairy has temporary
relief agents. I have little knowledge of the chemical composure of capsacin, only
that it is an oil and most liquids only spread it around the mouth, causing worse
burning. Can you guys with chemical expertise please research the raw element that
causes capsacin to be hot and possible neutralizers. Your help will greatly be appreciated
by many and definatly not forgotten.

hotsauceking8@bellsouth.net

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 01:47:54 AM »
The best remedy is not to use a hot pepper.
AWK

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 09:18:41 AM »
Apparently, indian youghurt drink works well.

However, I love the burning sensation. It makes Indian food terrific :D
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
« Last Edit: May 18, 2006, 09:39:52 AM by P »
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 01:17:26 PM »
Capsacian hits some of the nerve receptors in the mouth (and in other places too, actually) and tends to stick there pretty fiercely.  This has the effect of a sharp burning sensation at first, followed by a kind of numbness afterwards.  This has actually led to a lot of research using capsacian and similar compounds as anti-inflammatory agents.  The idea is that you would take a medication that would bind to your pain receptor (the same way capsacian does) and then, since it binds so tightly, other irritant molecules can't get into the receptor and cause further irritation.  I think it's a really cool approach to pharmaceuticals!!

Anyway, I had heard that capsacian is not soluble in water or alcohol, so those beverages are right out.  As said above, milk contains a fair amount of lipids, in which capsacian is soluble.  So when you drink milk, the capsacian gets sucked out of the pain receptors in your mouth and then gets washed away.  Water and alcohol can't do this because the capsacian isn't soluble, so it just stays on the receptor.  Alcoholic beverages are also predominantly water, so the alcohol can't have as much of an effect.

I hope this info is useful.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 06:33:01 PM »
I can see the logic behind consuming more hot sauce, although I wouldn't do it.

The logic would have to be you overwhelm the nerves and deplete them of their neurotransmitters. No neurotransmitters = a tired out nerve that doesn't perform its job. Research the exact nerve(s) it binds to.

Also, you build up a resistance to spicy food overtime.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 12:16:28 AM »
I wouldn't like to try it personally, but capsaicin binds selectively to vanilloid VR1 receptors, as an agonist, there is a somewhat more potent agonist, resiniferatoxin, also selective for VR1 receptors, its a phorbol diterpene found naturally in Euphorbia Resinifera.

Since this is the graduate/professional forum, I'm going to hazard a guess you might not be some guy who just ate too hot a curry, hehe.

the 5-iodinated analogue of resiniferatoxin is a VR1 antagonist, so potentially it could be what your looking for, although jesus H christ, I wouldn't want to test this one in vivo, as resiniferatoxin has a binding affinity to the VR1 receptor Ki=43pM ;D

4-Chloro-3-methoxycinnamanilide is perhaps a safer antagonist....
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 12:26:51 AM by limpet chicken »
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 01:02:37 AM »
Resiniferatoxin is an awesome molecule.  It's a pretty beefy structure, for sure, but a very interesting synthetic target.  Lots of possible approaches to synthesis.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 04:47:39 AM »
Anyway, I had heard that capsacian is not soluble in water or alcohol, so those beverages are right out.

oh well, I read that alcohol does the job..??   I would have thgought it might but I don't really know, I read elsewhere about people extracting it..

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

odedarad

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 05:01:44 AM »
I have seen claims that sugar is an effective antidote. It could be, however, that you need to mix the sugar with the hot souce before tasting.

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 05:21:32 AM »
OK  -  If ethanol is a solvent for this active chemical then a good cure for the burns would be to garggle and rinse your mouth out with vodka!?  :P

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline deadally

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 09:07:07 AM »
But it's NOT a solvent for it.  That's been said numerous times

Offline P

• I am what I am
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 11:24:36 AM »
But it's NOT a solvent for it. That's been said numerous times

ONE person above said that they 'heard' it wasn't a solvent for it. I personally do not know for sure, but, I have read somewhere that alcohol has been used as a solvent for capsaicin.   Has this been discussed before in another thread or something because I couldn't possibly conclude from this thread if alcohol is or is not a solvent for the stuff -  not based on one stranger thinking he MAY have heard it said somewhere before.

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Sponsored Links