April 28, 2024, 03:33:42 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: True/False  (Read 8397 times)

flagpolesitta43

True/False
« on: May 18, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »
I have my final tomorrow and I was hoping you guys could help me with some true or false questions, since I always lose points on these questions. I've answered most of them so if you can just let me know which ones I answered correctly that would really help me out. Thanks!

1. A catalyst changes the equilibrium constant for a reaction. (false)
2. A catalyst changes the rate constant for a reaction. (false)
3. Water acts as a Lewis acid when it forms a complex ion with transition metals. (true)
4. The rate-determining step is the slowest step in a reaction mechanism. (true)
5. If a process is reversible, there is no change in the entropy of the universe. (true)
6. Samples of the same polymer may have different average molecular weights. (?)
7. Polymers formed from two different types of monomers are called copolymers. (true)
8. Nuclear fission occurs when an atomic nucleus splits into two lighter nuclei. (true)
9. The hal-life of a reagent is the amount of time required for the concentration of that reagent to drop to 1/2 of it's original value. (true)
10. For a system at equilibrium, the reaction quotient equals the equilibrium constant. (true)
11. A system is at equilibrium when the rate of the forward reaction and the rate of the reverse reaction are equal. (true)
12. A Lewis acid acts as an electron pair donor. (False)
13. An Arrhenius base generates an excess of OH- ions in solution.
14. All carboxylic acids are weak acids. (?)
15. A buffer solution is formed by adding a large excess of acid to a solution containing its conjugate base. (true)
16. When a weak acid is titrated against a strong base, the equivalence point occurs at a pH greater than 7. (false)

Thanks again.

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: True/False
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 03:35:42 PM »
I have my final tomorrow and I was hoping you guys could help me with some true or false questions, since I always lose points on these questions. I've answered most of them so if you can just let me know which ones I answered correctly that would really help me out. Thanks!

3. Water acts as a Lewis acid when it forms a complex ion with transition metals. (true)
4. The rate-determining step is the slowest step in a reaction mechanism. (true)
5. If a process is reversible, there is no change in the entropy of the universe. (true)
6. Samples of the same polymer may have different average molecular weights. (?)
7. Polymers formed from two different types of monomers are called copolymers. (true)
8. Nuclear fission occurs when an atomic nucleus splits into two lighter nuclei. (true)
9. The hal-life of a reagent is the amount of time required for the concentration of that reagent to drop to 1/2 of it's original value. (true)
10. For a system at equilibrium, the reaction quotient equals the equilibrium constant. (true)
11. A system is at equilibrium when the rate of the forward reaction and the rate of the reverse reaction are equal. (true)
15. A buffer solution is formed by adding a large excess of acid to a solution containing its conjugate base. (true)
16. When a weak acid is titrated against a strong base, the equivalence point occurs at a pH greater than 7. (false)

Thanks again.

looks alright to me, i don't know about 5,6  ???. 13 is true and so is 14 :).

someone check those two please
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 05:02:21 PM »

Think these two over.

What every base does to the solution?

Mostly true.

As for me normal excess will be enough, no need for large ;)

Disclaimer: just because I have not listed an answer doesn't meant it is OK.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:02:30 PM »

Thanks again.

i think that 5 is true but 6 i have no idea on ???
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:12:18 PM »
6 is probably true.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:16:09 PM »
You'll want to rethink 3. For water to form a complex ion with a transition metal, it would have to donate electrons to the metal atom, and things that are electron pair donors are _____ _____. (hint: your answer to # 12 is correct)

for 5 I would say false (I'm not positive on this). For example, think of the melting of ice into water.

H2O(s) + energy <--->   H2O(l)

Certainly this is a reversable process, but moving to the right gives an increase in the entropy of the universe, right?

As for 6, I agree with Borek, certainly the same polymer can have different molecular weights.

Offline tennis freak

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:21:21 PM »
oh yeah thanks for the better explanation of number 5 that makes sense

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 07:05:58 PM »
for 5 I would say false (I'm not positive on this). For example, think of the melting of ice into water.

H2O(s) + energy <--->   H2O(l)

Certainly this is a reversable process, but moving to the right gives an increase in the entropy of the universe, right?

5 is true by the definition of a reversible process. Organishe is just looking at what happens to the system.  When ice melts, the system increases in entropy.  But, to answer this question you have to also consider what happens to the surroundings.  When ice melts, heat is removed from surroundings, which decreases the entropy of the surroundings.  So, when you consider the total change in entropy (the change in the entropy of the universe) the change is not necessarily positive.  For a reversible process, the change in entropy of the system is equal to the (negative) change in entropy of the surroundings.  For example, the irreverible melting of water at temperatures of above 0 C removes less entropy from the surroundings than is gained by the water.  However, at 0 C, the entropy which is gained by water melting reversibly equals the entropy lost by the surroundings.

Offline tennis freak

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 07:08:23 PM »
ok apparently i was right but had no idea why, but thank you for explaining each side so now i can get in an argument with people. :P

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 12:08:53 AM »
oh curses knew I missed something.   ::)  okay ignore what I said about the entropy thing then.

Sponsored Links