March 28, 2024, 07:45:46 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Cheap way to determine the oxalate concentration in a solution.  (Read 2366 times)

Offline danteOne

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
I am running an experiment that requires the determination of the oxalate concentration in an aqueous solution. The solution also contains a bunch of other stuff including some cells, trace minerals and trace amounts of EDTA. Currently we are using an oxalate assay kit, which appears to work, but it is very expensive (around $500 per box). This means that we are wasting a lot of our money on this kit rather than on other things that could be much more useful.
 It is not clear to me what instruments we have access to. I know that we have some voltammetry stuff and a spectrophotometer. I want to try some Raman spectroscopy but I don't know anyone who has that and before I ask anyone else I want to make sure I am not crazy.

What would be the best way to figure out the oxalate concentration in an aqueous solution?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Cheap way to determine the oxalate concentration in a solution.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 08:21:43 PM »
You could titrate oxalate with potassium permanganate.  Its a pretty straightforward titration.  He's an online PDF to a classroom exercise: http://infohost.nmt.edu/~jaltig/OxalateTitration.pdf
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline danteOne

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Re: Cheap way to determine the oxalate concentration in a solution.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:15 PM »
I will try this. Thank you for the info.

Sponsored Links