March 29, 2024, 10:14:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry accidents  (Read 32476 times)

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
Re: Chemistry accidents
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »
1M would be strong enough to truely hurt her unless she really let it sit there tho
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »
wait do you mean that it wouldn't really hurt her ???
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline rctrackstar2007

• Mole Snacks: +18/-40
  • I need scoobie snacks and a 5 on the test!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2006, 02:21:46 PM »
wait do you mean that it wouldn't really hurt her ???

we've used 1M NaOH, did that ever hurt you? the answer would be no, unless you let it sit for days
AP Chemistry Squad Member [002]

The world is like an atom. The not-quite-as-intelligent people are the nucleus all packed together sharing a common...everything. We, we are the electrons. Granted we're not as smart as these engineers and what-not so we're most likely in the first orbital, but we're the electrons of this giant atom. We all have differing intelligences and ideas and we are separated from the nucleus which makes us better because no one really cares about how a nucleus acts. It's the electrons that make chemistry, except for nuclear chem, of course, which I am a big fan of.

-Your's truly, 2006;
  written to describe the HS chem student apart from the average being

Offline tennis freak

• Mole Snacks: +10/-9
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2006, 02:23:02 PM »
i was just confused with what you meant
AP Chemistry Squad Member [004]

Don't be afraid to try something new, remember amateurs built the ark and professionals built the titanic!

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2006, 11:44:37 PM »
I remember reading about the HF-in-the-trash fatality when it happened.

Somebody just tossed some unwanted HF into the trash, and the garbageman unlucky to toss that in the compactor died from the fumes.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2006, 10:02:12 AM »
I remember reading about the HF-in-the-trash fatality when it happened.

Somebody just tossed some unwanted HF into the trash, and the garbageman unlucky to toss that in the compactor died from the fumes.

A friend of mine is a PhD chemist at a battery company and he said that during his graduate work there was an accident at the lab and a chemist had a beaker of anhydrous HF splashed onto her face.  He said it was the scariest thing he had ever seen and that the poor girl was in an INTENSE amount of pain.  Thankfully she survived the incident thanks to the "insta-wash" stations they had in the lab, but he said he'll never forget that day.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline Dude

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +42/-9
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2006, 11:33:00 AM »
The best advice is to not have them. 

There is a zero-tolerance for accidents or even "near-misses" in industrial settings.  Universities are quite relaxed compared to industry when it comes to safety.

If someone has an accident that causes lost time at an industrial site, the worker will basically go through an intense inquisition covering pretty much everything about the situation.  In the vast majority of cases, the companies ultimate objective will be to get rid of the accident-prone liability called the worker, regardless of the fault level of the worker.  It is better to be inefficient and take three times as long to do something than have an accident and be a stellar performer.     

Offline Contusion

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2006, 07:47:32 AM »
Accidents in the lab seem to be a common occurance in my school...

The most notable accident that I can recall is that when we were doing volumeteric analysis and preparing solutions with some quite nasty chemicals. I was using Potassium Dichromate and other people were using other various chemicals. So, about three-quarters into the lesson an arrogant and stupid guy approached my female friend, let's call her Sarah and said something along the lines of:
"Oh, mine's better than yours!"
He then proceded to swing his volumetric flask full of solution into her 1 liter flask. Of course hers shattered covering her in a green liquid. Everyone was shocked as we heard the smash and turned toward the back of the class to see green solution dripping out of her mouth and off her goggles. She quickly rushed into the prep room to clean up.
Luckily the solution she was preparing was copper carbonate and it's not that bad if I recall.  :)

Another slightly humorous accident involved me and sodium metal. It went a little something like this; teacher showing us the classic sodium in water experiment, the teacher asked me to carefully move the sodium from the side of the container because it had stuck there. So, I grabbed a metal stirring rod, I think, and went to nudge the metal but just before I did I announced to the class in a mock tone
"I can sooo see this exploding just as I touch it"
...And it did.
My burns weren't that severe but they stung for a day or two.  :)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2006, 01:04:14 PM »
Yeah, I had a rather painful accident with Na metal, during electrolysis of NaOH to prepare it, a piece went off, and flew RIGHT up my nose.

That one, really kinda hurt, left a hole in my septum for a while, until it healed up, a couple of weeks or so.

I recently gassed out my room with chromyl chloride, and with H2S, both those times I grabbed my mask, and ran out of the room, although I had to return, mask on, during the H2S incident.

Burnt my hand once boiling conc. H2SO4.

Did the above with molten NaOH.

Once corroded my leather gloves completely with liquified SO2, the spikes on them rusted in minutes.

Burnt myself nicely as a kid, setting off improvised flashpowder in a pair of old pants, it went up rather quicker than I expected at the time (moral of the story? don't pack underpants full of flashpowder and light it close up ;D)

I have had a close, but not really dangerous (in the end) encounter with H2Se, the fact I could smell it, was enough to alarm me quite a bit.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2006, 01:44:13 PM »
One of the chemistry teacher at my school told my class about an accident that happened a long time ago. They use to have a 1 gallon container of acetone in the store room that they kept under a granite sink. Well one day there was a spark by the sink when a teacher was leaving the store room and all of the acetone exploded. The thing was, they had a whole collection of other chemicals. A bunch of other things exploded too. The granite sink also was destroyed.

There had only been 2 people that knew exactly what was in the store room. One had been injured in the explosion. The other teacher had to direct the hazmat team. He wasn't given a respirator or any protective clothing either.

Also speaking about burning ourselves....
Early in the year (around March) my cousin, some of his friends, and I were all lighting tennis balls on fire and playing flaming tennis. Then we found a nerf football and proceded to saturate it with lighter fluid. I picked it up out of the bucket we used to saturate it, and my stupid cousins friend lit the football on fire while I was holding it!

The thing was dripping lighter fluid, and my hand up to my wrist were covered with lighter fluid. I had told him to wait, but he didn't. It was only minor burns though, but all the hair on my lower arm was gone, and my lower arm was itchy and dry for awhile.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Jd1828

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2006, 08:58:40 AM »
I was doing a hydrogenation with Pd catalyst and H2.  The reaction was not going so I decided to add more Pd.  I forgot to flush out the hydrogen from the flask before adding more catalyst.  It made a pretty big bang and a fire ball shot out of the flask. 

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2006, 10:18:21 AM »
I had a little accident in my first year at uni.

I was trying to dissolve something in methanol in a 50ml volumetric flask. So I would put the stopper on and shake it about - but it wouldn't dissolve. So I took off the lid and put it over a steam bath, then take it off, stopper on and shake. I repeated this several times, but once forgot to remove the stopper... and forgot about it for 5 minutes.
So I return to the fume hood and see it there, and realised that it was probably going to blow it's top very soon. But for some reason, I did the stupidest thing possible, I removed it from the fume hood  :o and took out the stopper. Unfortunately, this coincided perfectly with my lab partner turning round to say something to me, and she ended up with hot methanol all over her face and in her mouth. She was fine though - it wasn't hot enough to burn, and she never suffered any ill effects - and she still did labs with me for another 2 years.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Albert

• Lonely Wanderer
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +112/-22
  • Half Decent Pharmaceutical Chemist
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2006, 11:19:20 AM »
Unfortunately, this coincided perfectly with my lab partner turning round to say something to me, and she ended up with hot methanol all over her face and in her mouth. She was fine though - it wasn't hot enough to burn, and she never suffered any ill effects - and she still did labs with me for another 2 years.

Sounds like the beginning of a romantic love story... ;)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2006, 12:29:57 PM »
Haha, there was certainly some chemistry
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2006, 12:25:53 PM »
Dan:

awww.. so sweet..

the spirits of the lab has spoken. They pick you a mating candidate through their divine wisdom.

perhaps the next time you give her something alcoholic, try red wine. Boiling methanol isn't the best choice. LOL.

I wish my lab partner is female. Too bad Imperial is a monastery!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 03:30:39 PM by geodome »
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links