April 19, 2024, 02:22:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Gibbs Free Energy and Spontaneity  (Read 7796 times)

Offline orthoformate

• Mole Snacks: +14/-4
Re: Gibbs Free Energy and Spontaneity
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:52:57 PM »
Extensive (J) or intensive (J/mol)?

Thank you! then ΔH is calculated as you described (ΔHm) as an intensive unit when dealing with ΔH-TΔS

what I was trying to illustrate with my earlier post is that you could calculate this conversion for one mol, but then you would have to divide it in half for the actual ΔG if you wanted to calculate it via ΔG=ΔH-TΔS. Is this correct?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +296/-12
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »
Careful! What is the "ΔG" you are trying to calculate?

The diagram below shows the molar Gibbs energy of a mixture of A and B at a total concentration [A] + [B ] = 1M as a function of mole fraction of B in the mixture (that is, xB = nB/(nA + nB), not counting the solvent). I have used your example of K = 3, so ΔGm° = -RTln3 (T = 298 K), and for reference Gm,A° = 0. For simplicity I have assumed ideal mixing, i.e. ΔGmix = RT(xAlnxa + xBlnxB).
Not surprisingly, G is a minimum at the equilibrium composition xB = 0.75. If you want the molar ΔG for the conversion you described, from xb = 0.5 to 0.75, that is given by "ΔGm" on the graph. Note that this "ΔGm" is not equal to 0.25*ΔGm°, and would also not be equal to ΔGm for conversion from, say, xB = 0 to 0.25.
What is "ΔG" in the equation ΔG = -RTlnK + RTlnQ? Well, at the equilibrium position, Q = K, so "ΔG" = 0. What is zero at the equilibrium point? Answer: the slope of the G-x curve, the partial molar Gibbs energy of reaction dGm/dxB, or ΔGm(xB) - the free energy per mole of converting a small amount of A to B at constant composition xB.

Now in your scenario, you start with 1L of 1M of both A and B - total concentration 2M, total amount 2 moles. In this case, again assuming ideality, the value of Gm,A = Gm,A° + RTln[A], and the same for Gm,B. Both values are increased by RTln2, but the difference between them is unchanged (this would not be the case if there were unequal moles on either side of the equation). Then G = n*Gm, so all the ΔG values we have talked about are multiplied by 2. In other words, the curve is shifted along the y-axis to account for the change in concentration, and stretched in the y-direction to account for the number of moles.

I'm sorry if this seems unduly complicated, but it reflects the complexity of the situation, and shows why people often go wrong when they just ask "what is ΔG?"

Offline orthoformate

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 01:20:36 PM »
Are you saying that since ΔG=-RTlnK+RTlnQ is not a linear function you cannot simply multiply the 0.25*ΔGm° to get the correct ΔG. I can see from your graph (thank you very much for the graph b.t.w.) that the first 0.25m converted would give a larger (or more negative because of the sign) ΔG than the last 0.25 mols.

Also, you said that ΔG at any specific point is equal to δG/δxb so as you said "the partial molar Gibbs energy of reaction dGm/dxB, or ΔGm(xB) - the free energy per mole of converting a small amount of A to B at constant composition xB"

meaning that that value of of ΔGm changes as you change composition.

If you wanted to calculate the ΔG change from beginning to equilibrium, could you simply take the integral of δG/δxb bounded from the starting point to equilibrium with respect to xb?

Thank you for taking the time to make this post. It was very eye opening for me.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 06:08:01 AM »
Are you saying that since ΔG=-RTlnK+RTlnQ is not a linear function you cannot simply multiply the 0.25*ΔGm° to get the correct ΔG.
Careful - what "correct ΔG" are you after? Is it the molar (i.e. per mole of mixture) free energy change on going from xB = 0.5 to 0.75 (or generally x to x+0.25)? This is Gm(x+0.25) - Gm(x), and is generally not equal to 0.25*ΔGm°. It is also not equal to -RTlnK + RTlnQ, which is equal to the slope of the Gm curve, and is defined for a particular value of xB (and Q), not a range.
It would be more correct to phrase your statement as "since Gm is not a linear function of xB, you cannot simply multiply the 0.25*ΔGm° to get the correct ΔG." Or more generally, "since Gm is not a linear function of xB, you cannot simply say Gm(xf) - Gm(xi) = (xf - xi)*ΔGm°."
If you wanted to calculate the ΔG change from beginning to equilibrium, could you simply take the integral of δG/δxb bounded from the starting point to equilibrium with respect to xb?
Yes, but is there a situation where you are likely to know dGm/dxB as a function of xB, but not Gm as a function of xB?

Offline orthoformate

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 01:05:52 PM »
This is very interesting.

Why is it that when you use the table values of ΔH and ΔS you can use arithmetic to solve for ΔG? via ΔG=ΔH-TΔS

Are these table values only accurate for exactly one mol gone to complete conversion?

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »
Tables usually give you molar standard heats of formation and molar standard entropies. If you know these values for A and B, what value of ΔG do they give you? What does that correspond to on the diagram?

Offline orthoformate

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2016, 01:04:18 AM »
The standard molar entropy and enthalpy for A and B would allow you calculate a molar G for both A and B. On the diagram, the 100 mol% of A is on the far right, and the 100 mol% of B is on the left. you would use these values to get the ΔG, which would be the change on the y axis.

using my example ΔG=RTln(3): ΔG= 2.7 Kj/mol

but, we know thermodynamic equilibrium would allow the reaction to achieve a greater ΔG than this.

Offline mjc123

• Chemist
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2016, 05:01:23 AM »
On the diagram, the 100 mol% of A is on the far right, and the 100 mol% of B is on the left
Other way round on my diagram.
using my example ΔG=RTln(3): ΔG= 2.7 Kj/mol
ΔG° = -RTlnK
but, we know thermodynamic equilibrium would allow the reaction to achieve a greater ΔG than this.
In my calculations, assuming ideality, ΔGm (starting from 100% A) = xBΔGm° + RT(xAlnxA + xBlnxB)

Sponsored Links