March 28, 2024, 04:59:01 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How is the undergraduate internship in European and American countries?  (Read 3450 times)

Offline zanearaki

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello guys. My question, do you have a required internship program on the 5th semester of your undergraduate degree? This internship will be like one of the requirements to graduate from the degree. I go to a university in the Asian region and this is one of the regulations. Therefore I want to know how it is in your countries.
Thank you for your answers.

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
Re: How is the undergraduate internship in European and American countries?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 10:29:10 AM »
You mean like industrial internship? I had it twice but it was not compulsory.
IF you mean like in university lab doing some research then yes, we have to write thesis that is at least 30  (usualy its about 50, sometimes longer) for bachelors or at least 50 for masters, including experimental work in a lab. Usualy ppl start at their 3rd semester when doing bachelors and right away for masters.
Hope it helps

ps: Im from Czech Republic, EU

Offline zanearaki

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 11:13:53 AM »
You mean like industrial internship? I had it twice but it was not compulsory.
IF you mean like in university lab doing some research then yes, we have to write thesis that is at least 30  (usualy its about 50, sometimes longer) for bachelors or at least 50 for masters, including experimental work in a lab. Usualy ppl start at their 3rd semester when doing bachelors and right away for masters.
Hope it helps

ps: Im from Czech Republic, EU

You were right, it was more like industrial internship where you have internship in chemical companies. So it wasn't compulsory for you. We only have it once and it is compulsory.
How was your internships so far? Mind to share your stories with me? I'm going to do one this year, so I'd really love more insights from someone who had gone through it. I wonder how were the tasks that you were assigned within the companies you intern for? (And here I'm assuming that you were majoring in Chemistry. Forgive me if I'm wrong.)
Wow that was fast for a bachelor, we only getting started with thesis on the 8th semester. You mean 30-50 pages right?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 02:30:52 PM »
Well my industry experience was mixed.. It was great experience for sure but I felt that I didnt know realy what to do there. My boss (guy 1 just to be clear) was pretty cool but he wasnt best mentor so I felt lost sometime. I had two internships there:
For the first time I did measuring adsorption isotherm by HPLC (that was pretty awesome since I am synthetic chemist so I learned something realy new and my supervisor (guy 2) was realy good and helpful). At my 2nd I did some synthesis of impurities because guy 1 was not realy able to realy explain what we are doing so I couldnt take any initiative. ALso, waiting for analisis 24hrs was pain in the ass when procedure asked for analysis after 1hr and then quench it or add more reagents..

btw 8th semester? That is like 4th year in summer right? Just to be clear, our bachelors degree takes 6 semesters and none realy starts writing the thesis at 3rd semester but rather working in a lab on experiments. THe sooner the better since you have classes to attend so its mostly like 2-3 days/week. I heard that in USA the lab work is more like full time while we have to find time for it in between classes

Sponsored Links