March 28, 2024, 02:08:30 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Research Ideas?  (Read 9781 times)

Offline johnnyjohn993123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Research Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2016, 11:08:11 AM »
I another idea, what do you guys think about superhydrophilic materials, because my friends were kinda interested in superhyfrophobic materials using calcium carbonate with fatty acids in it(is what I believe I heard) . My adviser told me it is possible to have a superhyrophilic material, but he ask me what material should I use. Anyone knows abit about this ?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Search internet. Some publications have free access. Others you can find in university library.
AWK

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +304/-59
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 05:08:21 PM »
billnotgatez: "Replication is the soul of science."

Corribus: "Most of scientific research is basically repetition with a tweak".

So true! And too often, results and claims lack a replication.
I just wonder, after many papers have been published on a subject, and even a review of the papers, if more replication is still a good investment.

But maybe it's a prudent choice for an undergraduate project. And, johnnyjohn993123, how much time do you have for this study?

Well, as everyone guessed, I'm just looking for people to try my bizarre ideas, as I'm an armchair inventor for the time being.

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 05:47:36 PM »
...superhydrophilic materials...

Can't that be obtained from the part's shape, like in a wick or a sponge, and then the material isn't so important in the part's behaviour?

---------- Counter-proposal:

Check if some materials resist hydrostatic 114MPa are clearly lighter than water, like 500kg/m3. Not an assembly of metal or ceramic spheres, but rather a hollow molecular scaffold. For instance fullerenes are too dense.

To my knowledge, such materials are lab curiosities, so you'd have to interest in your experiment the few research groups producing the materials to get samples from them. If they haven't made the measure they can be happy you do it.  Then, if needed, coat the samples with a liquid-tight layer, and assemble an experiment for 114MPa - not difficult since common hand oilpumps achieve 150MPa, so it's just finding the proper hardware, design properly and machine a vessel, pump and observe.

Offline johnnyjohn993123

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2016, 08:47:24 AM »
Im not really familiar with hydrostatic thing :(
Im really interested in utilizing CaCO3 with some very polar substance attached to it that would make it superhydrophilic. or oleophobic  anyone can help?

Offline Enthalpy

• Chemist
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2016, 03:59:18 PM »
Im not really familiar with hydrostatic thing

It means a liquid pressure. After few days you're familiar with it. Being a pro would take longer but isn't necessary.

Sponsored Links