April 19, 2024, 06:01:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: how to get material out of capillary tubes  (Read 3536 times)

Offline choukerry

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
how to get material out of capillary tubes
« on: August 10, 2016, 11:49:10 PM »
so I've been thinking ahead for a science project
and one crucial step is storing a small amount of liquid with certain proteins inside a capillary tube to be chilled at -20 C
the problem I'm faced with is after removing the tubes from storage, what is the most efficient way to get the liquid out of the capillary tubes with the least amount of foreign substance mixing or coming in contact with the liquid?
thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: how to get material out of capillary tubes
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
The local hospital posted two new employment positions:

Wanted: Individual with long narrow fingers, to insert cotton balls into narrow bottles.

Wanted: Individual with very long, very narrow fingers, to get cotton balls out of narrow bottles.

;D

That's a joke from the Flintstones, I guess standards of humor were much lower back then.  I bring it up because I can barely understand your application, to the point that its almost as silly as the twin jobs offered above.

so I've been thinking ahead for a science project
and one crucial step is storing a small amount of liquid with certain proteins inside a capillary tube to be chilled at -20 C

Why?  What is the application?  I used to routinely put protein samples, into 1 mL volume tubes, for acid vapor digestion.  When redissolved, samples were easily removed with a standard pipette.

the problem I'm faced with is after removing the tubes from storage, what is the most efficient way to get the liquid out of the capillary tubes

Efficient?  So you want every last bit?  Some will cling to every surface, the narrower the bore, the greater percentage you will lose?  Why did you select capillary tubes?

with the least amount of foreign substance mixing

So I guess, smashing the capillary is out of the question?  I kinda guessed that ahead of time.  Would you use a narrow bore needle? Or is that foreign?  Warning: no lab uses telekinesis or focused anti-gravity to transfer fluids, on account of those being fictitious.  Something always touches the liquid.

or coming in contact with the liquid?
thanks

Blow it out with compressed air or other gas?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
Re: how to get material out of capillary tubes
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:53:27 AM »
The simplest solution is to lightly hold the tube between thumb and finger near the top, and flick the bottom sharply (but not sharply enough to drop it!).

Takes a bit of practice (try it with water first), but it works.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Sponsored Links