April 23, 2024, 03:53:03 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Another Equilibrium problem  (Read 1437 times)

Offline docnet

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Another Equilibrium problem
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:38:41 AM »
Hello, this is one of the equilibrium problems that I've been trying to solve, but there isn't an answer from the book that I can compare my answer to. Please let me know if this is the correct way to approach this type of problem.

Given:

Consider the following reaction at a certain temperature

A2+B2 ::equil:: 2AB

The mixing of 1 mole of A2 with 3 moles of B2 gives rise to x mole of AB at equilibrium. The addition of two more moles of A2 produces another x mole of AB. What is the equilibrium constant for the reaction?

I set up two reaction quotients to represent the concentrations of each situation at equilibrium, and set the quotients equal to each other assuming that the Kc for the reactions is constant.

First I used x to represent the moles of reacted A2 and B2 for the left reaction, and 2x for the right reaction, but then I realized that the two x's don't represent the same molar concentration. So I used y to represent the concentration for the second reaction.

(2x)2/[(1-x)(3-x)] = (2y)2/[(3-y)(3-y)]

Then I let 2x=y based on the given information that two x moles of AB is produced after the addition of A2.

Then I substituted 2x into y.

(2x)2/[(1-x)(3-x)] = (4x)2/[(3-2x)(3-2x)]

x = 3/4

Plugging in 3/4 into the the equilibrium expression gave 4 as the equilibrium constant. Would this be an acceptable answer?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Offline docnet

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Re: Another Equilibrium problem
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:52:19 PM »
After some thinking I realized that there is no need for y. I probably incorrectly plugged in 2x on my first try and confused myself unnecessarily.

Sponsored Links