April 28, 2024, 09:02:00 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Basicity  (Read 4971 times)

Offline kelaklub

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
  • I'm a mole!
Basicity
« on: May 21, 2006, 10:49:17 AM »
The answer to the following question is choice D. I understand that choices B, C, and E are more acidic due to the electron withdrawing effects of the halogens. But I thought alkyl groups were electron donating so why is choice A, the one with the longer alkyl chain, the answer? Is it that the inductive effect stabilizes the conjugate acid?

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Re: Basicity
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 11:04:58 AM »
If you want to explain this question in terms of the stability of the conjugate acid, both A and D can be stabilized by inductive effect.

About PhNH3+ and CH3NH3+, it is difficult to tell that which inductive effect is greater(in fact, sp2 hybridized C of Ph ring is more electronegative than that of methyl C, but I think no one will use it for explanation). By compare their acidity, PhNH3+ is more acidic because its conjugate base can be stabilized by delocalization of N's lone pair into Ph ring.

Actually, I will use the availability of the lone pair of N to explain. As I mentioned above, the lone pair of N of PhNH2 can delocalize on Ph ring (resonance effect), its lone pair now is not quite available to abstract a proton, while CH3NH2 has no such effect.

Offline kelaklub

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »
Oh man. That's right, choice A represents a cyclic system, and it's conjugate acid is more resonance stabilized.

Thanks.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:30:33 PM »
Oh man. That's right, choice A represents a cyclic system, and it's conjugate acid is more resonance stabilized.

No, D is the most basic. You've got the wrong end of the stick, the lone pair on N in choice A has it's bascisity suppressed by delocalisation. The conjugate acid of A, PhNH3+ is NOT resonance stabilised - read Winga's post again.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Sponsored Links