April 28, 2024, 12:52:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: energy of light v.s position of element on the periodic table  (Read 2656 times)

Offline sagemassey

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
energy of light v.s position of element on the periodic table
« on: August 30, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
questionwhat is the relationship between the energy of light emitted and the position of the element in the periodic table?
further explanationI had a lab in class, where we held some compounds (such as stronium chloride, calcium nitrate, & copper sulfate). This was a lab question, & I just wasnt sure how i could answer this, because of the very different outcomes with the elements & their position. Thank you so much for reading! :)
- Sage

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: energy of light v.s position of element on the periodic table
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:32:58 AM »
questionwhat is the relationship between the energy of light emitted and the position of the element in the periodic table?

There is no simple relationship. The only relatively simple answer exists for so called "hydrogen like ions" - that is, you can easily calculate spectra (ie energies required to excite the electron) for ions that were stripped of all electrons but the last one. Google for "Rydberg formula".
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links