April 26, 2024, 03:30:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: write out oxidation number  (Read 2892 times)

Offline Alpha

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
write out oxidation number
« on: September 05, 2016, 01:25:11 PM »
Hello guys! I have problem with writing out oxidation numbers for following reaction:

C2H4 +Cl2  :rarrow: C2H3Cl + HCl

this is how far i got:
-2+1      0         +1-1   +1-1

what i don't know is how i should do with the carbon atoms in the vinyl chloride molecule. I guess that the carbon that gets oxidized is the one bonding with the chloride atom? But what are their oxidation numbers? An additional thing i wonder is the oxidation number for the other carbon atom? Could anyone explain how i should think? Thanks!

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: write out oxidation number
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
For balancing redox reactions we use mean values for each type of atoms.
In organic chemistry, sometimes, we calculate ON for each carbon atom. We just break all C-C bonds (single, double, triple) and calculate oxidation number for each carbon and other atoms in direct proximity, ie  for CH2=CHCl as if CH2 and CHCl were isolated (ON for C -2 and 0 -- mean value -1).

Your reaction is wrong. Chlorine undergoes addition to double bond forming CH2Cl-CH2Cl. Of course, you can obtain vinyl chloride from ethylene chloride by elimination of HCl, but this is quite different type of reaction, and you should write down two independent reactions.
AWK

Offline jasongnome

• Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • Chemistry teacher.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 02:20:16 AM »
Hello guys! I have problem with writing out oxidation numbers for following reaction:

this is how far i got:

what i don't know is how i should do with the carbon atoms in the vinyl chloride molecule. I guess that the carbon that gets oxidized is the one bonding with the chloride atom? But what are their oxidation numbers? An additional thing i wonder is the oxidation number for the other carbon atom? Could anyone explain how i should think? Thanks!

As AWK says, the reaction is wrong, however, if that is the reaction you've been given as a theoretical example, then you're almost there. Simple arithmetic gives you the value for carbon, at high school level, the mean value is fine.
When you are courting a nice girl, an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. (Albert Einstein)

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:40:36 AM »

this is how far i got:

Reaction is wrong as mentioned by AWK and jasongnome
However we can still do calculations of the oxidation numbers
If C is bonded to C then the Electronegative difference is zero so it puts zero on carbon  ,if it is bonded to H then C is more electronegative and H becomes +1 which puts -1 on C .If it is bonded to any halogen like here Cl ,then Cl is -1 and C gets +1 ...

Sponsored Links