April 27, 2024, 12:04:32 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question on Propagation of Error  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Twisted_Nucleics

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question on Propagation of Error
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:46:24 AM »
Hello!

This is my first time posting to the chemistry forums, so go easy on me!

I was doing an experiment on deducing the molar enthalpy of water, and the professor wants me to propagate the error for a single calculated value.

So ΔH(vap) = [(m.w.)(s)(m1)(dT/dt)(Δt)]/Δm
I find the molar enthalpy to be 40.09, and the theoretical value is 40.68 KJ/mole

If I go through and do a total differentiation on the above equation and apply the rules for propagation (i.e. squaring, negating cross terms, etc), I get:

σH = root[(Δm)(Δt)(dT/dt)σM1 + (m1)(Δt)(dT/dt)σΔm+(Δm)(m1)(dT/dt)σΔt + (Δm)(Δt)(m1)σdT/dt]

note: All terms under the root are squared, just trying to save myself some effort here.

But I don't know where to go from here and the whole idea is a bit confusing to me. I have seen it done on smaller functions, but nothing like this and not with real experimental variables, so I am lacking a solid example. Plus I always get hung up on error stuff. So many people just make up the error bars and take the small ding to their grade, but that gets you nowhere. I want to understand! I want to know!

I ask for help and I feel like I know what I am doing but I leave and woosh, it's lost again :/

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
Re: Question on Propagation of Error
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:04:13 PM »

Sponsored Links