April 29, 2024, 07:05:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Claisen condensation  (Read 10627 times)

Offline swati

• Mole Snacks: +10/-3
Claisen condensation
« on: May 22, 2006, 03:03:55 PM »
 :)  Hello everyone

Explain why ethyl isobutyrate does not undergo Claisen Condensation reaction in presence of sodium ethoxide ?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Claisen condensation
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 03:56:39 PM »
It is up to you to explain. Then someone can tell you if you are right.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:39:27 AM »
The ester must possess an ?-hydrogen atom to facilitate the first step of the reaction - deprotonation.

Isn't ethyl isobutyrate Me2HCCOOEt? in which case it can enolise in the first step.

But I would suggest that the bulky enolate formed will not add to the hindered carbonyl of the ester on steric grounds.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:37:45 PM »
It could add, but there might be a problem after that.  Think about what drives the Claisen condensation to completion.

Offline swati

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:13:39 PM »
It could add, but there might be a problem after that. Think about what drives the Claisen condensation to completion.

After the addition of enolate to carbonyl of ester -OEt is removed & the reaction is drawn to completion by deprotonation of the active methylene in the product by the ethoxide. But there's no acidic hydrogen in the compound after the removal of -OEt.

But I have a doubt .
I think formation of enolate ion won't take place due to +I effect of 2 CH3 groups attached to ?-carbon atom.
CH3 groups will increase the electron density at ?-carbon atom making the release of H+ difficult.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 06:17:46 PM by swati »

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:51:01 PM »
I agree with you that the two methyl groups do make the alpha carbon somewhat less acidic, but the difference is pretty small.  For example, imagine a ketone with a phenyl group on one side and a methyl group on the other.  The pKa of that molecule is 24.7 (DMSO solvent and reference, 25 degrees C).  If you change the methyl group to an ethyl group, the pKa is 24.4 (pretty much the same), and if you change to an isopropyl group, the pKa is 26.3.  So it does go up, but not a whole lot.  This should hinder whether or not you can form the enolate; you don't need to make the enolate quantitatively to do the Claisen condensation.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 07:05:38 PM »
But I would suggest that the bulky enolate formed will not add to the hindered carbonyl of the ester on steric grounds.

...yeah, that was a quite a poor argument. I realised as soon as I read movies' post what it was - I remember it being strongly emphasised in a lecture last year.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:11:33 PM »
Don't feel bad, I always forget that too.  I only remember because they have just learned the Claisen condensation in the class that I am TAing right now!

Offline swati

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 02:19:10 PM »
 :D
Thank You Everyone.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 08:36:38 PM »
Don't feel bad, I always forget that too.  I only remember because they have just learned the Claisen condensation in the class that I am TAing right now!

I just learned it in lecture too. I am taking organic chemistry lectures with first year chemists..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links