April 17, 2024, 10:06:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aromatic  (Read 21158 times)

Offline kelaklub

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
  • I'm a mole!
Aromatic
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:11:24 PM »
Due to all the help I received on this forum, I was able to answer most of the aromatic questions on my sample tests correctly. This one however has me a little stumped. It may be a typo, I don't know. The answer is stated as choice C.

But I thought that choice D also represents an Aromatic molecule, because
  • It is cyclic
  • All the carbons are sp2 hybridized.
  • It satisfies Huckels rule, because I don't think the lone pairs of electrons will take part in the resonance because that would not make all the carbons sp2 hybridized.

Are these valid reasons? Thanks.

Offline Winga

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +39/-10
Re: Aromatic
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 04:06:49 AM »
As you said all the carbons are sp2 hybridrized, the lone pairs of that carbon can also be delocalized into the pi system (remember, there is a hydrogen attached to that carbon). Now the no. of e- in the pi system is 4 which cannot fulfill 4n + 2 rule. If the lone pair doesn't delocalize to pi system, this carbon will become sp3 hybridrized that blocks the delocalization of e- in pi system.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:14:30 AM »
I agree with kelaklub. If it's a singlet carbene, I would answer with E (ie. C and D).

The reason I would expect D to be aromatic in it's singlet state (that's with a lone pair on the C rather than a diradical) is because, when sp2 hybridised, you can put the lone pair in an sp2 orbital, leaving an empty p orbital => 2 electrons in the pi system => aromatic.

I don't think the lone pairs of electrons will take part in the resonance because that would not make all the carbons sp2 hybridized

I don't agree with that argument.
The only way anything on that c will interact with the pi system (take part in resonance) is if it is in a p orbital - so in the hypothetical reverse situation to what I described above, the lone pair is in a p orbital, and there is an empty sp2 hybrid orbital. All the carbons would still be still sp2! - but it is not aromatic (and so the cofiguratiion would be unstable) because the number of electrons is 4.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 04:21:17 AM by Dan »
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 04:16:00 AM »
(remember, there is a hydrogen attached to that carbon).

I don't think there is... I've never seen a trivalent carbene

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 04:20:58 AM »
The problem probably meant to put a negative formal charge on the carbon atom with the lone pair making it a standard carbanion.  In this case, because there is a hydrogen and two C-C bonds occupying the sp2[/sub] orbitals, the lone pair must be in the p-orbital creating a system with 4n electrons which is antiaromatic by Huckle's criteria.

However, as the problem is written with no formal charge on the carbon, I agree with Dan's answer.  But I really doubt someone would mean to put a carbene into a problem like this.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 04:40:57 AM »
Due to all the help I received on this forum, I was able to answer most of the aromatic questions on my sample tests correctly. This one however has me a little stumped. It may be a typo, I don't know. The answer is stated as choice C.

But I thought that choice D also represents an Aromatic molecule, because
  • It is cyclic
  • All the carbons are sp2 hybridized.
  • It satisfies Huckels rule, because I don't think the lone pairs of electrons will take part in the resonance because that would not make all the carbons sp2 hybridized.

Are these valid reasons? Thanks.

Only pyridine is aromatic (C)
AWK

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 05:15:46 AM »

What is your justification for D not being aromatic?

Offline Organishe

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +3/-0
  • I'm a mole!
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 05:29:42 AM »
I think that the authors of this question made a silly mistake, in that they did not include the formal charge. Let's assume for now that it is indeed a carbanion, and not a carbene. To have p orbitals available for resonance at every carbon, the carbanion must be sp2 hybridized. At the same time, doing this does not satisfy Hückel's rule.  If we leave the carbon sp3 hyrbridized, then it is not a fully conjugated system.  So, assuming it is indeed a carbanion, it is certainly not aromatic.

Taking the case of the carbene, well I don't know enough about carbenes to answer it, honestly.  But from the context of the question, I highly doubt the authors would intend for you to consider a carbene.

So, my answer: C

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 05:42:41 AM »

What is your justification for D not being aromatic?
As Winga after Huckel said - 4n+2 rule
AWK

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 05:55:46 AM »
But look at the structure of a singlet carbene, http://wngr343-pc1.science.oregonstate.edu/gablek/CH630/carbenorbs.gif
The empty p orbital (LUMO) overlaps with the pi system, giving 2 electrons in the pi system, ie n=0 for Huckel's rule => aromatic. The HOMO is orthogonal to the pi system.

If it was a carbanion, then it wouldn't be aromatic, but it isn't, it's a carbene.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 05:58:39 AM by Dan »

Offline Winga

• Chemist
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
Will the structure D achieve maximum multipilicity?

Offline barcrphd

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
  • i am a molecule
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 09:33:18 AM »
i think there is nothing too much in this question which worth such a lengthy debate. as suggested above, the system D doesnt obey the 4n+2 rule. hence it is not aromatic.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 09:44:09 AM »
the system D doesnt obey the 4n+2 rule. hence it is not aromatic.

My point is that D will obey the 4n + 2 rule in the singlet state (where n = 0). The LUMO of the singlet state is a p orbital, see link above.

Sure, the triplet state will not be aromatic, but I expect the singlet state is lower in energy than the triplet due to the aromatic stabilisation of the singlet state => the ground state the carbene D is the singlet state which is aromatic.

I have drawn a pretty picture http://users.ox.ac.uk/~some1599/Images/SingletCarbeneD.jpg

If  there is a formal negative charge then, I agree, it will not be aromatic.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 10:49:04 AM by Dan »

Offline Winga

• Chemist
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 11:15:52 AM »
Can the structure D undergo aromatic reactions? (e.g. electrophilic aromatic substitution)

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:42:29 PM »
Well, I have never made it so I dont know, but I would have thought that it's reactivity resembles that of a carbene more than benzene. An example would be (rapid) insertion to C-H bonds.
I don't think it would be stable.
If the point you are getting at is "If it doesn't react like an aromatic compound, is it really aromatic?", then I can see exactly where you are coming from! Technically it is aromatic, in the sense that it obeys the 4n+2 rule, but in practice I would be suprised if this label is meaningful.

Sponsored Links