April 20, 2024, 08:14:27 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Hexavalent Chromium & degredation  (Read 2294 times)

Offline neptune

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hexavalent Chromium & degredation
« on: April 14, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
Hello, I am just looking for some organic help on Hex Chrom.  Just the other day, there was a spill very close to Lake Michigan.  It was wastewater from a Steel Company which contained hexavalent chromium.  This is within 100 yds of the lake and apparently spilled into a waterway which leads to the lake. Now the question...Cr(VI) is soluble in water so will this then break down to Cr(III) when diluted into a large body of water (like Lake Huron)?  Then Cr(III) is then only slightly water soluble, but is it dependent on the pH as to if it further breaks down?  It is unknown as to the volume of wastewater leaked currently.  Now I realize when you are talking dilution in regards to the great lakes system, it would likely be trace amounts when it makes its way around to Lake Huron, St Clair, Erie and so on, but all the drinking water in the surrounding communities comes from the lakes.  Just wondering what sort of precautions I should be taking with the water and even fish which are caught or if the Cr(IV) is going to break down into something which is of no concern??  TIA

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Hexavalent Chromium & degredation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »
Nobody really knows, because a standard has yet to be adopted.  http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-chromium-pollution-lake-michigan-met-2-20170412-story.html  To address the problem, I'd keep reading the newspapers, and follow emergency advice from the municipality.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links