April 28, 2024, 10:48:17 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rusting in Salt Solution  (Read 6166 times)

abcdef

Rusting in Salt Solution
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:41 PM »
why does a nail oxidizes faster in salt water than in common water?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 11:42:29 AM by geodome »

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: salt and oxidation
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:16 PM »
It has to do with conductivity. The Na+ and Cl- ions make the water more conductive which speeds up rusting.

Try looking it up on http://wikipedia.org , they may have an article on rusting. It's to laggy for me to access and give you a link sorry.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: salt and oxidation
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 11:41:51 AM »
Rusting is an electrochemical process.

In water, the following reaction occurs:
Fe -> Fe2+ + 2e

The electrons then travel within the water medium to the surface of the water where there is oxygen. Oxygen then accepts these electrons by the following reaction:
O2 + 2H2O + 4e -> 4OH-

The iron(II) ions undergo furthur oxidation with atmospheric oxygen to produce Fe3+.

Fe3+ combines with the hydroxide ions to produce rust.

The slowest step in the reaction mechanism is actually the reduction of oxygen. The rate of electron transport from the Iron metal to atmospheric oxygen can be increased if the the conductivity of the aqueous medium increases. Note that water has a high dielectric constant, so it favours the aqueous solvation of ions. Adding salt increases the conductivity of the solution, thus increase the rate of electron transport. This aids in quickening the rate determing step.

Hence, rust occurs faster in salt solution.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

abcdef

Re: Rusting in Salt Solution
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 03:41:23 PM »
great, thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links