April 19, 2024, 02:11:55 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: ozone + chlorine  (Read 12577 times)

scottboc

ozone + chlorine
« on: May 23, 2006, 09:29:35 PM »
I am concerned with chlorine gas and showering, I have heard that there is a considerable amount of chlorine gas produced by chlorine's low evaporating point.  Do you think that there is enough chlorine gas being produced for this to be a problem?

I use a couple different ozone generators in my home (corona discharge, UV), i am imuno compromised and use the filters for air purification purposes. I am wondering if the O3 is helping with the CL2.  Everything i find online is talking about cl2's role in the ozone layer, and the cl2 basically rips though the 03.  But it keeps going on because of direct uv interaction, this is not the case in the bathroom. 

So does ozone generators help with chlorine gas indoors??

Thanks for your time.
Scott

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: ozone + chlorine
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 09:33:11 PM »
Just for clarification; Are you talking about chlorine gas comeing from your city water?
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

scottboc

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 11:04:13 PM »
Yes, there is quite a movement going on to get people to switch to chlorine filtering showerheads.  There logic is that the chlorine just evaporates when you shower, forming a thick kiwi and marshmallow scented gas chamber. 

Any thoughts?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:51:32 PM »
There is so much chlorine in our town water, you can smell it coming off the water, it is quite strong.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:20:54 AM »
So does ozone generators help with chlorine gas indoors??
we don't have a chlorine gas problem indoors, the problem is that the chlorine is rising and depleting the ozone in our atmosphere. the ozone in our atmosphere does things like provide UV protection from sunlight. when this is depleting it causes problems, i.e. an ozone depletion in australia has caused a large increase in skin cancer. chlorine in your home isn't harming you (as far as i know) so my guess would be that ozone generators do not help with chlorine gas indoors because ozone indoors doesn't do the same thing for us as it does in our atmosphere.
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 06:02:18 AM »
u are wondering whether the O3 helps with the removal of Cl2 emitted from tap water, right?

my thoughts are that it doesnt; Cl2 is a catalyst in the decomposition of O3. that is to say, at the end of the overall reaction mechanism, it is chemically unchanged. basically it seems like you are wasting O3. Changing the showerhead with a filter is a good idea; I have done it already.
one learns best by teaching

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 05:59:14 PM »
I have a well. I remember being told stories when they first drilled our well. When the hit the depth of the water it just came out with ground with a decent enough press to shoot up about 3-4 feet.

xiankai is right about the Cl2 being a catalyst. I highly doubt though that any town would put so much chlorine in the water as to cause harm to anyone.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 06:09:21 PM »
I have a well. I remember being told stories when they first drilled our well. When the hit the depth of the water it just came out with ground with a decent enough press to shoot up about 3-4 feet.

Artesian well?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 08:04:03 PM »
I highly doubt though that any town would put so much chlorine in the water as to cause harm to anyone.

True :D Here we a re famous (infamous) for having the worst tasting water anywhere, probably due to the chlorine, the water is perfectly healthy to drink it just doesn't taste very good. However it doesn't bother me at all and I am happy to drink it so it must be a personal taste thing (or the fact that I spend a good deal of my life ploughing up and down chlorinated pools so have probably grown accustomed to the taste of dodgy water ;) )

Also here it quite common to have a bore (maybe the same as your well?) but the water needs to be pumped up from very deep beneath the surface.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2006, 03:25:16 AM »
Also here it quite common to have a bore (maybe the same as your well?) but the water needs to be pumped up from very deep beneath the surface.

Hmmm... Originally artesian basin is an Australian thing :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline beheada

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2006, 09:02:54 AM »
I highly doubt though that any town would put so much chlorine in the water as to cause harm to anyone.

True :D Here we a re famous (infamous) for having the worst tasting water anywhere, probably due to the chlorine, the water is perfectly healthy to drink it just doesn't taste very good. However it doesn't bother me at all and I am happy to drink it so it must be a personal taste thing (or the fact that I spend a good deal of my life ploughing up and down chlorinated pools so have probably grown accustomed to the taste of dodgy water ;) )

Just think about Mexico City...
I'll take a little chlorine over barfing my guts up, anyday.

;)

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2006, 05:24:20 PM »
That's what it's called. An artesian well. Yea when they originally were tapping wells in my area most of them were artesian. Mine is about 75' deep, which I've been is kind of shallow. It no longer is an artesian well though, we have a pump.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2006, 08:01:08 PM »
I don't know anyone here with artesian well, everyone I know has a pump. I have had to pull a few pumps up for repair and it is really hard work doing it by hand when the pump is over 100m deep, that is a lot of pipe to pull up!

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 03:52:09 AM »
http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/water/gab/

Although name origin is French.

Sponsored Links