May 10, 2024, 11:31:51 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Does ferrocene react with HCl?  (Read 7382 times)

coldest

Does ferrocene react with HCl?
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:01:32 AM »
from books, it says that ferrocene doesn't react with HCl. however in my expriment, when I put ferrocene powder in HCl solution in atmosphere, the solution turns blue a few days later. So I'm confused. I wish your help, thantks! ???

Offline plu

• Mole Snacks: +15/-7
Re:Does ferrocene react with HCl?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 09:59:44 AM »
In the presence of O2 and in strong acid solution, ferrocene will be oxidized to Fe(C5H5)2+.  I believe this compound appears blue in solution.

coldest

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 01:50:02 AM »
In the presence of O2 and in strong acid solution, ferrocene will be oxidized to Fe(C5H5)2+.  I believe this compound appears blue in solution.

thank you very much!
by the way, could you suggest some papers about the reaction please :-[

coldest

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2006, 09:44:23 AM »
ok, I got it from google. The blue solution is result of dissolving ferrocenium ion. So in air, Fe2+ was oxidated into Fe3+, however if I put NaOH in the solution, a orange-yellow deposit was come out, then I put HCl again, the deposit dissolving and the solution is also blue, can anyone tell me what is it?
thanks! :-[
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 09:50:24 AM by coldest »

formamide

Re: Does ferrocene react with HCl?
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 12:08:09 AM »
It is not uncommon to wash certain metallocenes (Cp2Fe, Cp2TiCl2, etc.) with conc aq HCl to remove the assorted cats & dogs that might be present. A few of them are considerably more hydrolytically stable than one would imagine.  Typically, long term acid exposure is to be avoided. Without doing a lit search I would agree that the Fe (3+) species is a good guess. Some metallocene species form oxo bridges on exposure to water. I've never heard of ferrocene doing it though. 

Sponsored Links