March 28, 2024, 10:26:02 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: FT-IR spectra  (Read 7309 times)

Offline plain

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
FT-IR spectra
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:40:24 AM »
who can help me analysis the FT-IR spectra and know what it is?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: FT-IR spectra
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 09:55:11 AM »
You need to have some idea of what you might have, otherwise an IR sperctum isn't that useful. IR can gives you a clue as to what functional groups you have - but total structure elucidation from IR is, as Virgo would say, "A big ask".

It looks like you have an amide group, or maybe  a conjugated carboxylic acid.

Do you know what reaction produced this product? have you got an NMR spectrum? MS data? anything else?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline chiralic

• Mole Snacks: +19/-3
  • Test
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2006, 01:36:19 AM »
Hi Plain:

Only with IR Spectra is "little" complicate to identify a compound without others clues. So, Dan said: IR can gives you a clues about what functional group are present. If you have a another physical characteristics or reaction with this compund will be better. So, I attached a flow chart (downloaded from Internet) that will give you "a idea" what is the possible compound. Are you check IR spectra Library?

Could you send me your ir spectra file (full size) to chiralic@gmail.com?

Regards

Chiralic

Offline barcrphd

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
  • i am a molecule
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2006, 01:52:33 AM »
You need to have some idea of what you might have, otherwise an IR sperctum isn't that useful. IR can gives you a clue as to what functional groups you have - but total structure elucidation from IR is, as Virgo would say, "A big ask".

It looks like you have an amide group, or maybe  a conjugated carboxylic acid.

Do you know what reaction produced this product? have you got an NMR spectrum? MS data? anything else?

i dont think it is a carboxylic acid. a broad peak extending upto 2500 cm-1 is a typical feature of carboxylic acid. the two peaks appearing above 3100 seems like that of a primary amine. yeah... possibility of an amide cannot be ruled out.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2006, 08:04:08 PM »
Yeah I am thinking some type of amide too.  There are strong amine and carbonyl peaks.  There is also that big peak around 1390ish, I don't know what to make of it, probably the R group on the amide. IR is not good for figuring out a structure, it just tells you about functional groups. 

Offline plain

• Mole Snacks: +0/-2
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2006, 11:11:23 PM »
Yestadoday I got the HNMR and MS spectra and it looks like nicotinamide(CAS Number:98-92-0).

Sponsored Links