April 23, 2024, 03:10:13 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: A random friends pressure question  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Kalium

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
A random friends pressure question
« on: September 29, 2016, 05:09:15 PM »
This was a random question from a friend....

I have a pressure cooker and I want to know what weight I need to use to run it at 15 psi at an altitude of 3445 ft. above sea level, it has a vent tube with an ID of 3/16".I am gong to guess somewhere in the 3.5 - 4 ounce range as close but I would like to have an exact weight

PS: no pressure gage on my simple pot. With my my factory regulator weight of just under 3 ounces and at my altitude I am cooking at a lower heat than it would at sea level. I want to adjust (increase) the weight of my regulator weight so that at my elevation my cooker will be operating at an internal pot pressure of 15 psi and that will result in an increase in internal temperature to what I can presently achieve.

I thought I would first have to determine the atm for my altitude then determine a volume of the system

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: A random friends pressure question
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 05:19:58 PM »
How is the internal cooker pressure related to the weight used? Can you think of physics behind the way the valve works?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Kalium

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 05:54:40 PM »
It isn't I don' t think , I may have overthought it, since the temp will be lower I think my friend.  For what ever reason ...wants to contain vapor....so if his 15 psi standard is 84 gms then what would he need for 20 or 25 psi? I'm being lazy, I'll think out the math, shame me cf

Offline Kalium

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 07:23:53 PM »
I see what you mean

Sponsored Links