April 28, 2024, 07:02:06 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Redox Reactions Of Halogens + Metal  (Read 3502 times)

dagr8est

Redox Reactions Of Halogens + Metal
« on: May 24, 2006, 08:46:05 PM »
I thought that redox reactions only occured when you had an ion and an uncharged substance but I just read that a halogens can act as oxidizing agents to take electrons away from metals such as Mg + Cl2 -> Mg+2 + 2Cl-.

I have a couple questions that say which of the following will undergo a redox reaction:
Br2 and Pb
Cl2 and Cu
I2 and Mg

I have not dealt with this type of problem before and I don't see how to determine whether a reaction will occur or not.  I know that each of those halogens is definately a stronger oxidizing agent than their respective metals.  Does that mean that a reaction will occur for all three of those cases?  Any help will be appreciated. ;D

Offline syko sykes

• Mole Snacks: +12/-10
Re: Redox Reactions Of Halogens + Metal
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 08:56:38 PM »
i think they will all react but not really sure on the first one though

on your example, couldn't it also form MgCl2... i guess this would assume the reactants are ions though. what were you given, elements written with charges (or lack thereof) or elements written out in there full names?
AP Chemistry Squad Member [V]

dagr8est

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 09:07:36 PM »
I wrote the question exactly as it is written in my textbook.  Also, why unsure about the first one?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:41:15 PM »
I believe that you can write the reactions for all of these examples and then using a table of reduction potentials determine which ones and in which direction these redox reactions will be spontaneous.
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Sponsored Links