April 28, 2024, 10:07:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Chemistry Lab Help: Naming the compound  (Read 4964 times)

fluteboy01

Chemistry Lab Help: Naming the compound
« on: May 25, 2006, 02:10:40 AM »
For my chemistry lab we have to figure out our unknown compound by using computer simulated tests. We only have a limited amount of our "unknown" compound, so we must choose what tests to perform wisely because each test uses up 5 grams (we start with 60 grams). I think I have figured mine out: Propanone, C3H6O. My test results are as follows: 1)Presence of Oxygen Test: Contains Oxygen, 2)Mole Calculator: 58 grams/mol is the molar mass, 3) Melting Pt. Test: We heat the compound starting at 0 degrees celcius and the melting pt. cannont be determined because either the substance decomposes before melting or the melting point data is not available, 4) Water of Hydration test: After the water of hydration test the same amount of grams remains in the crucible as before the reaction (no water in compound then?), 5) Halogen Test:  The compound does not contain a halogen, 6) Flame Test: During the flame test there was no change dected in the color of the flame, 6) Litmus test: Started with Red Paper and the color was unchanged after the test, 7) Combustion Test: Following combustion, the substances have been found following the combustion: carbon dioxide and "unidentified."

According to my information, whould you guys agree it is Proponone? Also, how would you order the tests if you were to do it in real life so that they make sense? ex. Mole Calculator first, Oxygen Test second, etc.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Fluteboy01

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Chemistry Lab Help: Naming the compound
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 03:02:26 AM »
3) Melting Pt. Test: We heat the compound starting at 0 degrees celcius and the melting pt. cannont be determined because either the substance decomposes before melting or the melting point data is not available,
Acetone(propanone)  is a liquid, how did you perform your melting test?
AWK

fluteboy01

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 10:21:12 AM »
We staryed heating it at 0 degress C and it's melting pt. is like negative something degrees C, so that is why it says it says not available I believe.

fluteboy01

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 10:33:31 PM »
anyone? How about just putting the tests in logical order?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 03:39:54 AM »
What tests are available to you, and what information do you have before starting tests?

Before tests you should for example know that your compound is liquid, if so, making melting point test doesn't make sense, you may do boling point test.

In the real life lab situation I will start witch looking and smelling.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 06:37:19 AM »
We staryed heating it at 0 degress C and it's melting pt. is like negative something degrees C, so that is why it says it says not available I believe.
Acetone , even at 0 C is a liquid
AWK

Sponsored Links