March 28, 2024, 05:04:23 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: 1st undergrad student really struggling 😢😭😭😭  (Read 4457 times)

Offline innocences23

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
 Not only am I a first year undergrad but I'm also a former btec student so don't have the same knowledge as these fresh Alevel students..I worked really hard to get into uni and now I'm thinking was it all worth it as I'm not sure I can do this.....what would appear to be simple chemical equations to most chem students as proving to be alil more difficult for the likes of me....I have a workshop tomorrow and I'm meant to have completed a load of questions to take along....I'm really struggling to get my head around its giving me axioity about this whole decision to come to uni..😣😫😭 what would you possibly suggest?
If only I had someone who was able to sit through examples with me so I could then go on to working the originals out myself..the transition between college to uni is of higher level than was expected...

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: 1st undergrad student really struggling 😢😭😭😭
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 06:14:13 PM »
Don't give up. Go ahead with posting problems and your attempts on the forum. We can't guarantee an instant answer (we are just volunteers, scattered around a globe), but eventually someone will come to the rescue :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Corribus

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +526/-23
  • A lover of spectroscopy and chocolate.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
Most universities have upper class undergraduate chemistry majors, graduate students, and even post-docs willing to hire themselves out as tutors-sometimes they even do it for free. I was a tutor way back when and felt I made a difference to many struggling undergrads. Maybe that's an option for you? If you don't see any postings for such a thing, you can make a posting yourself - tutor wanted, or some such - and post it around the department. I bet you'll get some interest.
What men are poets who can speak of Jupiter if he were like a man, but if he is an immense spinning sphere of methane and ammonia must be silent?  - Richard P. Feynman

Offline Ben Bob2

• Mole Snacks: +22/-0
  • Undergraduate Chemist
    • Ben's Chemistry Page
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Two suggestions:
1) See if your school has a tutoring center. Even the two (very) small universities I have attended have such places. Most likely you will be in a small group of students who are in the exact same situation as you and will be assisted by either a faculty member or a student who is paid by the school. A private tutor will be expensive.

2) Use YouTube or other online resources to help you work through problems. Freshman chemistry is so difficult for many (including me four years ago...) because for the first time, you need to apply problem solving skills; continued practice is the only way you will develop them. Seeing chemistry problems worked out in a different medium may help you understand.
Change and decay in all around I see;
O Thou who changest not, abide with me

2014 Eisenhower Fellow
2015 GRO Fellow

Sponsored Links