April 28, 2024, 06:54:38 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Naming compounds  (Read 4834 times)

Offline jennielynn_1980

• Mole Snacks: +8/-4
Naming compounds
« on: May 25, 2006, 08:52:42 AM »
I am having trouble naming compounds and also coming up with the formula for a compound.

I have read about 9 different articles on it and I understand there are certain rules and such.  I am wondering if there are some clear cut rules or steps that I can use to go about naming the compounds insteadof picking through all the info everytime.  Or is it all just practice and memorization?

Here are a couple I tried and have no idea if they are right:

BrF = bromine fluoride
tungsten hexafluoride = WF6
sodium peroxide = NaO2

I think maybe the main thing I am struggling with is how to know how many outer electrons each element has and how that effects how the element bonds with another.  I realize that they are trying to fill their outer shells but does this mean I have to look up the # of electrons everytime I do one of these questions?

Thanks!

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Re: Naming compounds
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:14:35 AM »
I think maybe the main thing I am struggling with is how to know how many outer electrons each element has and how that effects how the element bonds with another.  I realize that they are trying to fill their outer shells but does this mean I have to look up the # of electrons everytime I do one of these questions?

Yes, valence electrons play a very large role in the chemistry of the element in question, i.e.- how it will form bonds.  You do not really need to worry about this much when you are trying to name, rather you should worry about a related topic.  What you do need to know is the oxidation number (i.e.-the charge) of the elements in question when going from name to formula (in the case of ionic compounds).  You can find common oxidation numbers in any general chemistry or high school chemistry text.  You do not need to worry about this for molecular compounds though. You can find naming rules in your textbook.  Also, check online you may just find a nice naming flowchart floating around that will give you a clear cut way to get to a name for a compound. 

Good Luck  ;)

Offline jennielynn_1980

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
I dont' have a text book because I am taking the course as an idependant study and they send mini textbooks written by the org. I am taking it through that doesn't explain much at all.
I will look for the flow chart though.  That's a great idea.

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 10:54:06 AM »
Well, try a public library too for a general chemistry textbook.  That may help you out a lot. 

Offline jennielynn_1980

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 03:53:08 PM »
I had the same thought.  I took out about 5 different books and they have helped alot however I am still having trouble with taking all the info that I have read, understanding how it all relates and then putting it to use in solving problems, equations, etc.

Sponsored Links