April 26, 2024, 03:40:04 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is KIO4 used for?  (Read 2644 times)

Offline screechy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is KIO4 used for?
« on: October 24, 2016, 11:19:01 PM »
What is potassium periodate used for? Does it have any purpose or uses?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: What is KIO4 used for?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 05:29:04 AM »
I'd like to welcome you, screechy: to the chemical forums, but I'd like to remind you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to read and follow them when you signed up, and they apply to everyone, we'd like to see your attempt first.

Now then:

OK, I'll bite.  Where did you hear of it?  You sure this reagent exists, so in what sense are you asking the question.  Can you think of a better question to ask?

Consider NaCl.  It exists.  What do we use it for?  Cause if we don't, we'll die.  Does knowing that help you understand NaCl better?
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline screechy

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: What is KIO4 used for?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:54:49 PM »
I'd like to welcome you, screechy: to the chemical forums, but I'd like to remind you to read the Forum Rules{click}.  You agreed to read and follow them when you signed up, and they apply to everyone, we'd like to see your attempt first.

Now then:

OK, I'll bite.  Where did you hear of it?  You sure this reagent exists, so in what sense are you asking the question.  Can you think of a better question to ask?

Consider NaCl.  It exists.  What do we use it for?  Cause if we don't, we'll die.  Does knowing that help you understand NaCl better?

In an experiment surrounding Halogen Oxoacids and their salts, I formed KIO4. A question within the lab asked "What is the use of the salt you prepared?". I'm assuming it's referring to commercial and consumer uses the salt may have. I looked into a few research programs and couldn't find much of anything. Is there anything it is useful for? Can it be found within bodily systems? Is it found in any sort of consumer chemicals or products? Medications maybe? Or is strictly used within the lab as an agent of some sort? 

Sponsored Links