April 28, 2024, 09:35:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat of Sublimation for Dipeptides  (Read 10005 times)

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +67/-7
  • Quantum Kitten
Heat of Sublimation for Dipeptides
« on: May 26, 2006, 12:10:23 PM »
Does anyone have any clue where I may find the heat of sublimation for dipeptides?  I have looked for a while (in the obvious places) now and have found nothing.  I am really starting to think there is no data, but I do not want to give up.  I need this for a research project.  Thanks guys ;D

Offline lemonoman

• Atmospheric
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +71/-8
Re: Heat of Sublimation for Dipeptides
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 10:52:52 PM »
I am really starting to think there is no data

I think you're right.  I can't find any either.  Not on the NIST webbook, not in journals...nowhere :P

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 02:48:40 AM »
There is a little chance to sublime peptides, though in mass spectroscopy sometimes a molar peak can be obtained (formally by evaporation of a substance , then its ionization)
AWK

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 09:56:44 AM »
I found some data in a journal article that was in Russian a while ago.  I suppose it is accurate.  We don't want to completely sublime the peptides, we want just enough vapor to get a mass spectrum.  I am working with a crossed beam mass spec.  It ionizes the sample using a metastable noble gas beam (we are using helium). Since we are working within a vacum, I think we only need the vapor pressure of the dipeptides to be around 10^-4 torr or so. 

Thanks for looking around guys.   ;D

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 06:00:08 AM »
Ther are other techniques of ionization that allow even "vaporization" of peptides, eq field desorption
AWK

Offline tamim83

• Retired Staff
  • Quantum Kitten
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:27:49 AM »
True.  The technique we are using hasn't been tried before (I think), we are working with a professor from another school to see if this technique is even possible.  He hopes that this could be a way to sequence polypeptides someday.  Since our lab is one of the very few with a cross beam w/ metastable set up, we are seeing if this is a possibility.  I think the other professor uses electrospray to ionize his samples (he is an analytical chemist)

Sponsored Links