April 27, 2024, 07:29:12 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Esters from carboxylic acids and alcohols  (Read 2108 times)

Offline p-orbs

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Esters from carboxylic acids and alcohols
« on: November 04, 2016, 08:42:16 AM »
I did an experiment in the lab where I mixed different carboxylic acids with different alcohols.
My question is: Does any combination produce an ester?

For example I used propan-1-ol as the alcohol and heptanoic acid as the carboxylic acid. Does this produce propyl heptanoate?

And I also used a secondary alcohol, propan-2-ol, and methanoic acid. Does this produce 2-propyl methanoate?

My reason for asking is that it seems too easy to just conclude that an ester was produced, especially since not all the esters smelled good. The first example (propyl heptanoate?) smelled weakly of alcohol, and the second example (2-propyl methanoate?) smelled nearly nothing.

Thanks  :)

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +167/-48
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Esters from carboxylic acids and alcohols
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »
Did you add some ml sulfuric acid as catalyst? Normaly there should be no problem to create the ester.

Offline p-orbs

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:19:12 AM »
Did you add some ml sulfuric acid as catalyst? Normaly there should be no problem to create the ester.

Yes I added sulfuric acid.
Ok, so I should just assume that esters were the products in all cases  :)

Offline girl101

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2016, 09:26:32 AM »
if you ran the sample through gas chromatgram it would show if the sample is contaminated with alcohol or cid as you were saying it smelt mildly  of alcohol. I made an ester and it was contaminated with acid   but we had more ester formation showed by a large peak. it really didnt smell sweet.  but yes  your combinations can produce an  ester .

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
Esterification (acid+ alcohol) is an equilibrium  reaction. You will never get complete conversion.
Fortunately, esters usually show intensive pleasant scent different from acid and alcohol which can be easily detected.
AWK

Sponsored Links