April 27, 2024, 10:28:42 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: synthesizing aspirin  (Read 4357 times)

Rory

synthesizing aspirin
« on: May 26, 2006, 04:22:10 AM »
hi all,
In class today we were synthesizing aspirin by mixing salicylic acid and acetic anhydride with a sulfuric acid catalyst. One of the things I have to do for the prac writeup is describe how to prove that the sulfuric acid isn't a reactant - I have no idea how to prove this.  ???
You can't do it by testing pH or titration or anything because both a reactant and a by-product are acidic, so they would interfere. And gravimetric analysis won't work because it's impossible to measure the mass of sulfuric mass both before and after the reaction. i thought maybe doing the reaction without the sulfuric acid present to show that the reaction still occurs (albeit very slowly) without it present. Any ideas or comments?

Cheers, Rory

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
Re: synthesizing aspirin
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2006, 01:12:38 PM »
How about looking for the S=O stretch in the IR?

The more direct experimental way would be to use a catalytic amount of H2SO4 and see if you get catalytic turnover, although that doesn't give direct evidence for the presence of the catalyst after the reaction.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 01:19:56 PM by movies »

Offline HP

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +33/-5
Re: synthesizing aspirin
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 01:34:08 PM »
You may precipitate H2SO4 with BaO solution(barite water) as BaSO4. Yse stechiometric Ba2+ to SO42- to avoid possible side reaction with acethyl salicilic acid thow i think its not very prone.After filtration BaSO4 and drying you may gravimetrically prove H2SO4 as catalist.
xpp

Sponsored Links