April 19, 2024, 05:02:18 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: chemist's advice needed  (Read 3829 times)

Offline tolerant

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
chemist's advice needed
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:53:42 AM »
I have a query and need a chemist's advice. I hope I am posting in the right section.

The query is whether the substance Hydroxynorketamine Hydroxynorketamine is a drug analogue of the substance Ketamine, where a drug analogue is defined as follows:

(1)  For the purposes of this Part, a substance is a drug analogue of a listed controlled drug, or a listed border controlled drug, if the substance is any of the following in relation to the listed drug (or in relation to a primary analogue of the listed drug), however the substance is obtained:
                     (a)  one of the following (a primary analogue):
                              (i)  a stereoisomer;
                             (ii)  a structural isomer having the same constituent groups;
                            (iii)  an alkaloid;
                     (c)  a structural modification obtained in one or more of the following ways:
                              (i)  by the replacement of up to 2 carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures with different carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures;
                             (ii)  by the addition of hydrogen atoms to one or more unsaturated bonds;
                            (iii)  by the replacement of one or more of the groups or atoms specified in subsection (2) with one or more of the other groups or atoms specified in that subsection;
                            (iv)  by the conversion of a carboxyl or an ester group into an amide group;
                     (d)  any other homologue, analogue, chemical derivative or substance substantially similar in chemical structure.

(2)  The following groups and atoms are specified:
                     (a)  alkoxy, cyclic diether, acyl, acyloxy, mono‑amino or dialkylamino groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in any alkyl residue;
                     (b)  alkyl, alkenyl or alkynyl groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in the group, where the group is attached to oxygen (for example, an ester or an ether group), nitrogen, sulphur or carbon;
                     (c)  halogen, hydroxy, nitro or amino groups;
                     (d)  hydrogen atoms.

Subsection (2) is important because it is referred to in subsection (1)(c)(iii). The other important thing to notice that a substance can be a drug analogue if it has any relation to the listed drug (i.e Ketamine) specified in the section AND if it has any relation to the three "primary" drug analogues listed in subsection 1(a). I understand it to mean that a listed drug can be an analogue if it is, e.g. an alkaloid of a stereoisomer or a structural modification of an alkaloid.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: chemist's advice needed
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 05:11:52 AM »
I have a query and need a chemist's advice. I hope I am posting in the right section.

The query is whether the substance Hydroxynorketamine Hydroxynorketamine is a drug analogue of the substance Ketamine, where a drug analogue is defined as follows:

(1)  For the purposes of this Part, a substance is a drug analogue of a listed controlled drug, or a listed border controlled drug, if the substance is any of the following in relation to the listed drug (or in relation to a primary analogue of the listed drug), however the substance is obtained:
                     (a)  one of the following (a primary analogue):
                              (i)  a stereoisomer;
                             (ii)  a structural isomer having the same constituent groups;
                            (iii)  an alkaloid;
                     (c)  a structural modification obtained in one or more of the following ways:
                              (i)  by the replacement of up to 2 carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures with different carbocyclic or heterocyclic ring structures;
                             (ii)  by the addition of hydrogen atoms to one or more unsaturated bonds;
                            (iii)  by the replacement of one or more of the groups or atoms specified in subsection (2) with one or more of the other groups or atoms specified in that subsection;
                            (iv)  by the conversion of a carboxyl or an ester group into an amide group;
                     (d)  any other homologue, analogue, chemical derivative or substance substantially similar in chemical structure.

(2)  The following groups and atoms are specified:
                     (a)  alkoxy, cyclic diether, acyl, acyloxy, mono‑amino or dialkylamino groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in any alkyl residue;
                     (b)  alkyl, alkenyl or alkynyl groups with up to 6 carbon atoms in the group, where the group is attached to oxygen (for example, an ester or an ether group), nitrogen, sulphur or carbon;
                     (c)  halogen, hydroxy, nitro or amino groups;
                     (d)  hydrogen atoms.

Subsection (2) is important because it is referred to in subsection (1)(c)(iii). The other important thing to notice that a substance can be a drug analogue if it has any relation to the listed drug (i.e Ketamine) specified in the section AND if it has any relation to the three "primary" drug analogues listed in subsection 1(a). I understand it to mean that a listed drug can be an analogue if it is, e.g. an alkaloid of a stereoisomer or a structural modification of an alkaloid.

In my opinion, though I am not a lawyer, yes it is, under part 1)c)iii), referring to 2)c & d)

But you may need better proof than "some guy on the internet"

Offline tolerant

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:52 AM »
sjb,

Thanks for this. I really appreciate it. It's not a legal question really. I know it's dense legal reading, but the question is really about chemistry, which I know nothing about it.

If one or two people were able to confirm what you said, maybe even indicating which groups of atoms are replaced, that would be great.

tolerant

Offline DrCMS

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +210/-81
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 06:27:53 AM »
It's not a legal question really. I know it's dense legal reading, but the question is really about chemistry, which I know nothing about it.

NO this really is a legal question.

If one or two people were able to confirm what you said, maybe even indicating which groups of atoms are replaced, that would be great.

If you can not figure this bit out yourself then you will not understand the answers that other people might give you.

Offline tolerant

• Very New Member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
It's not a legal question really. I know it's dense legal reading, but the question is really about chemistry, which I know nothing about it.

NO this really is a legal question.

It is certaintly a legal question in the sense that the answer affects the consequences of dealing with hydroxynorketamine.

If you can not figure this bit out yourself then you will not understand the answers that other people might give you.

I know that I won't understand the answers because I have not studied chemistry at this level, but if there's a consensus amongst several members of this forum, then I will be sure that what they're saying is right. From there on, I can interpret the legislation myself.

Sponsored Links