March 28, 2024, 09:30:35 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Question about bond angles  (Read 3300 times)

Offline xxdntgrlxx

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Question about bond angles
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »
So I've been given a lewis structure of Carbonic acid, CH2O3 and I've been asked to find the bond angles of two certain parts.
I have it drawn out like H-O-C-O-H with a double bonded oxygen on top of the C with the correct amount of lone pairs on both remaining oxygens. I've been asked to find the bond angle from H-O-C on the left of the structure. Also, I've been asked to find the angle between the O on top of the carbon to the O on the right with the C between them. I don't understand how to go about finding the bond angles. I think the H-O-C on the left is 109 but I am not sure about the other angle.

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
Re: Question about bond angles
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »
If you have at least 3 similar atoms around the central atom you have triangle. What the angle in a equilateral triangle?

https://www.google.de/search?q=bondangle+carbonic+acid&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=7r0xWP2LIvSv8wemlp-gAg#q=bond+angle+carbonic+acid

Offline jerryingram100@gmail.com

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 11:43:01 AM »
The angle in an equilateral triangle is 60 degrees

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 12:02:11 PM »
Yes corrrect, but you need the outer angle because the molecule looks like a star similar the one of Mercedes car. So what angle you have then?

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 01:10:22 PM »
Model drawing of acetic acid you can find in your textbook or in Wikipedia. Note, all angles on this drawing are the same (120 degrees). Using VSEPR method you can predict changes of angles around carbon atom. For H-O-C angle take H-O-H angle from water. And ... you will get a quite reliable model of carbonic acid with errors for angles not greater than 3 degrees.
AWK

Sponsored Links