April 29, 2024, 10:26:36 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Buffer solution with NaOH titration?  (Read 2479 times)

Offline confusedcollegestudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Buffer solution with NaOH titration?
« on: November 18, 2016, 05:32:24 PM »
Calculate the pH of the 0.39 M NH3/0.73 M NH4Cl buffer system. The Kb of NH3 is 1.8 x 10-5.
I found that the pH was 8.98 and that was right.
However with part b, I'm very confused.
What is the pH after the addition of 20.0 mL of 0.075 M NaOH to 80.0 mL of the buffer solution?
Can someone show their work and explain how this is solved?
I thought maybe the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, but I don't know how to set it up?

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
Re: Buffer solution with NaOH titration?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
It is a forum rule that you should show your work or give your thoughts before we can help you.  Hint:  write an equation starting with NaOH reacting with something.

Offline confusedcollegestudent

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 05:49:58 PM »
It is a forum rule that you should show your work or give your thoughts before we can help you.  Hint:  write an equation starting with NaOH reacting with something.
Sorry! I'm new!
I know that for the first part of the problem, the reaction would proceed like so:
NH3 ::equil:: NH4+ + OH- when it reacts with water and will produce hydroxide ions, hence the Kb.
And from that I made an ICE chart with the provided concentrations of the buffers to find pOH, then found pH.
But what I don't understand with the second part is with the addition of NaOH and how that changes everything.
I figure that it would react with the NH4+ like so:
NH4+ + OH-  ::equil:: NH3 + H2O
But beyond this point, I don't really know how to manipulate the ICE chart, if one is even used? And how to change the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation. Since there are more H+ on the right side, I realize that Ka would be used.
Since there is 0.39 M of NH3 present and 0.73 M of NH4+, am I supposed to use both in the chart during the initial portion? Or am I only supposed to use one? I also don't understand what to do with the concentration or the volume of the NaOH that's used.

Online Babcock_Hall

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +322/-22
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 06:03:46 PM »
You might start by calculating the number of moles of NaOH from its volume and concentration.

Sponsored Links