April 18, 2024, 01:35:46 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Bachelor or Master degree?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline Gno

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Bachelor or Master degree?
« on: December 29, 2016, 05:11:02 AM »
I have two bachelor degrees -- political science and nursing -- but I want to study chemistry at a graduate level. I want to get a good foundation in undergrad chemistry, including doing research at that level. I want to attend a public university for many reasons, but public universities generally prefer to give their undergraduate seats to people who haven't gotten a degree yet.

Can anyone give their opinion on what they think is the best course of action for me if getting an undergrad chemistry degree is unlikely to happen?

One option is to take undergrad chemistry courses, one class at a time, then apply to graduate programs. Is that feasible? How likely will university undergraduate courses in the sciences be open to a non-chemistry major? And how positively will graduate departments look at this unconventional route to a graduate chemistry education?

Or do I underestimate the willingness of undergraduate chemistry departments to admit students with potential/promise (supposing I prove to be one)?

Do I underestimate, too, the accessibility of research opportunities available to students outside of the typical undergraduate chemistry structure, assuming I can prove my bona fides (courses taken, grades achieved, a personal interview, etc.)?

Or should I simply resign myself to attending a private university?

Thanks in advance for the feedback! Greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links