April 25, 2024, 03:37:14 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Looking for the right liquid  (Read 20084 times)

Offline D3MON

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Looking for the right liquid
« on: May 31, 2006, 01:49:17 AM »
Hi, Im working on a project and Im in need of a good liquid to use.   I didnt have much luck searching, so I figured a forum on Chemicals might be a good place to start.  For my project, the liquid must be fairly thin with preferably zero large floating particulants, preferably black in color, MUST be able to block a good amount of light with a very minimal amount of depth, and I would prefer if it was not harmful or corrosive.  I realize this is certainly a tall order to ask of such a liquid, but perhaps some of you may know of a certain liquid out there to start with, or maybe even a household one you use everyday.  Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanx

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +121/-35
Re: Looking for the right liquid
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 01:53:12 AM »
Thin = not too viscous?

Large floating particles: how large is large? can it have any particles?

Liquid at what temperature and pressure?

Harmful and corrosive may depend on its exact use and where it is stored etc.

Are you going to be shining a specific light on it? for how long? temperature?

Will it be still or stirred?

Would black ink work? Paint? Eye liner/mascara?
There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 02:52:16 AM »
Solution of some dye?

My first idea was permanganate solution, which is not black, not stable and can be considered corrosive - but depending on your real needs can fit perfectly ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 03:15:34 AM »
Perhaps a solution containing tincture of iodine and starch solution.  This forms a very dark blue solution, nearly black.  I wouldn't call it harmless (iodine), but not really too bad.

Offline D3MON

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:48:00 AM »
Thin = not too viscous?

Large floating particles: how large is large? can it have any particles?

Liquid at what temperature and pressure?

Harmful and corrosive may depend on its exact use and where it is stored etc.

Are you going to be shining a specific light on it? for how long? temperature?

Will it be still or stirred?

Would black ink work? Paint? Eye liner/mascara?

Thanx for the quick replys guys.   I guess I should give you a lot more information on what Im putting together.  What I want to do is sandwich the liquid in between two panes of glass, and be able to control sun throughput by changing the distance between the panes.  Therefore, the liquid must be thin enough to move easily between the glass, not have any particles that can get stuck when the panes are at 0 distance in order to give completly clear visibility through the glass, be liquid at all outside environmental conditions, and not kill me while Im putting this together or if the glass breaks on me.  So, most importantly the liquid really needs to be able to block light well, while at the same time be able to completly clear itself of the glass when the panes are completly together. 

Offline utramos

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry is taking over my life!
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2006, 01:38:17 PM »
how about like a dark soft drink or do u need a dark substance i am with Mark Kness when he said iodine.... maybe BrF
Andrew Ramos

The University of Toledo
College of Arts & Science
Inorganic Chemistry

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2006, 02:08:05 PM »
liquid at all outside environmental conditions, and not kill me while Im putting this together or if the glass breaks on me.

Ethanol solution of some dye looks like the right direction. Just the dye selection can be hard as they tend to be destroyed by the direct sunlight.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline D3MON

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2006, 02:31:26 PM »
how about like a dark soft drink or do u need a dark substance i am with Mark Kness when he said iodine.... maybe BrF

It needs to be more of a dark substance, and cant have any air in it.  I invision the fluid as being contained in a vaccum with flexible side pouches for the liquid to be transplaced into.  The liquid should also have a long lifespan and not change opacity or color over time.  If you guys could point me to a specific iodine or ethanol based solution for sale, that would be great.

Offline utramos

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
  • Chemistry is taking over my life!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2006, 02:57:16 PM »
Pipet 10.0 mL of a calcium iodate saturated solution into a clean 125 mL Erlenmeyer flask.  Add roughly 20 mL of distilled water to this saturated iodate solution, swirl to mix.  Dissolve ~1 g of solid KI into the iodate/water solution, then add 20 drops of 2 M HCl from a dropper bottle.  Swirl to mix the contents, obtaining dark red homogeneous solutions.  To complete the sample preparation, add approximately 30-40 drops of a 0.2% starch solution.  The titration solutions should be a dark blue-black color.
Andrew Ramos

The University of Toledo
College of Arts & Science
Inorganic Chemistry

Offline D3MON

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2006, 03:42:26 PM »
Pipet 10.0 mL of a calcium iodate saturated solution into a clean 125 mL Erlenmeyer flask.  Add roughly 20 mL of distilled water to this saturated iodate solution, swirl to mix.  Dissolve ~1 g of solid KI into the iodate/water solution, then add 20 drops of 2 M HCl from a dropper bottle.  Swirl to mix the contents, obtaining dark red homogeneous solutions.  To complete the sample preparation, add approximately 30-40 drops of a 0.2% starch solution.  The titration solutions should be a dark blue-black color.

And I can get all that in what section of Walmart?   Hehe, jk.  I will totally try this once I find a place to get all the chemicals.  Know of any places that might have them online or maybe at a larger local store?  Also, do you know of any similar mixtures that I can pick up ready made and locally?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 04:51:43 PM »
I am afraid starch/iodine solution will be not stable.

Check dyes that can be added to paints, just don't look for pigments but for something soluble.

Offline billnotgatez

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +223/-62
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 10:57:15 PM »
Do we assume that you do not want this liquid to freeze in the winter.?

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 11:07:03 PM »
Liquid crystals?

Polarising film, you could polarise the two panes then rotate them to chenge the amount of light coming through (not exactly what you want though)

Also iodine solution will not be harmless solution.

Offline pantone159

• Mole Herder
  • Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +54/-6
  • A mole of moles doesn't smell so nice...
    • Go Texas Soccer!!
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
Liquid crystals?

Polarising film, you could polarise the two panes then rotate them to chenge the amount of light coming through (not exactly what you want though)

Those sound like they actually might work for what you want, for a lot less trouble than mesing with corrosive chemicals.

Offline mike

• Retired Staff
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2006, 01:30:34 AM »
Have you investigated "smart windows"?

Sponsored Links